Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2short4life

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in a bit of a pickle. The aquarium that I volunteer at just offered me a part-time husbandry job. Also, I've been thinking about sending in a resume to an animal hospital. Chances are WAY better for the husbandry job but I don't have any vet experience. Any advice about which direction I should go???

Members don't see this ad.

You can't take the job at the aquarium AND send out resumes to vet clinics? Why is this a pickle? For one it might take you some time to actually find a job at a clinic, for two if it's part time why couldn't you do both jobs part time? A clinic may even be more willing to hire you if you don't need full time..

The thing is that school takes up most of my time. I'd only be able to do one or the other.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also think about what your future plans are. If you're interested in zoo or aquarium medicine, it is a very good idea to have as much experience in the field as possible --not only for your application, but for future networking, internship, and job search purposes. Getting vet experience is important, but I would guess that it'd be easier for you to volunteer/shadow at a vet clinic than find a job at an aquarium. In my experience it is the latter that is more competitive, so holding onto that opportunity might be a good idea. Plus, they must like you to have offered you a job --good people to write you a reference?

I agree with nyanko's suggestion, too. You may be able to find a way to do both!

yeah, and remember, you still have a whole summer ahead of you to figure things out. it's prob going to be hard for you to find a full time position in a vet hospital right now anyway, so why not start volunteering and try to get involved at a vet's office over the summer? You can figure out what you want to pursue in the fall once you have more info?

i think it would be sad to pass up an awesome opportunity for a nebulous something that you might not even have.

Thanks for the replies. You guys are awesome :)