Need some advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureVet90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm 22 years old and i'm a sophomore who is majoring in biology (pre-vet). before this major, i was pre-nursing but that wasnt what i wanted to do and wanted to pursue the career i was always interested in and i didn't think my school had the pre-vet program. my grades were slacking but they have improved. right now, i'm on a semester based probation starting in july and plan on getting A's from here on out. my gpa right now is 1.95 and i'm afraid it wont go in the 3's by the time i graduate, but i'm determined. if vet school doesnt work out, i thought about being a vet tech.

i'm also shy and feel uncomfortable around a big group of people (i think i might suffer from social anxiety disorder but i don't want to diagnose myself. i recently started going to counseling and i'll see what she says). but i want to overcome this because i really want to work in the veterinary field. i havent been able to volunteer as far as vet hours and etc because of transportation and because of the way i am around people. i'm hoping i can volunteer at an animal shelter this summer to get started. i also i have 2 summer courses in july and i'm nervous about the speech class.

i would really appreciate your advice.

edit- i also havent taken my required courses (important science classes for example) yet. i take those in the fall.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think if you look back at your previous thread's, you will see that everyone here has given you about as much advice as is possible. If you need the same advice again then you should go back and read the previous posts.

Well, no one can say it's impossible. After my first two years I had a terrible GPA as well and had a hard time adjusting to the program I was in from high school. However, I transferred to a different university, put my nose to the grindstone and worked my butt off the next four years, re-took pretty much every class and essentially started over. It is possible to come back from something like this, but you have to know that you'll be in it for a while. I don't think you'll be ready to apply in your 4th year seeing as you'll only have one good year after this before that time. Are you ok with that? Are you willing to spend the extra time (even if it means enrolling in a Master's program) to prove that this was a glitch? It takes years to come back and prove you're on the right track.

For the non-academic side, I'm not really sure how to advise you. Is there someone you can talk to about your anxiety? I'm sure you already know that you need vet hours no matter what stands in your way. You need to focus on spending the next few years at the top of your class and overcoming your anxiety in order to build experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you look back at your previous thread's, you will see that everyone here has given you about as much advice as is possible. If you need the same advice again then you should go back and read the previous posts.
:thumbup: :uhno:

:thumbup:
Nothing new to add here. Your previous half-dozen threads will contain all the advice we have to give. All I can say is - stop talking about "going to start" getting A's - go out and do it. If you haven't taken any prereqs yet, take them. That's at least two years right there.

Nothing new to add here. Your previous half-dozen threads will contain all the advice we have to give. All I can say is - stop talking about "going to start" getting A's - go out and do it. If you haven't taken any prereqs yet, take them. That's at least two years right there.

i took my pre-req's; the only one i have left is speech and i dropped it 2 times already. i want to get it over with. if this thread is annoying to you, you dont have to comment in here.

Well, no one can say it's impossible. After my first two years I had a terrible GPA as well and had a hard time adjusting to the program I was in from high school. However, I transferred to a different university, put my nose to the grindstone and worked my butt off the next four years, re-took pretty much every class and essentially started over. It is possible to come back from something like this, but you have to know that you'll be in it for a while. I don't think you'll be ready to apply in your 4th year seeing as you'll only have one good year after this before that time. Are you ok with that? Are you willing to spend the extra time (even if it means enrolling in a Master's program) to prove that this was a glitch? It takes years to come back and prove you're on the right track.

For the non-academic side, I'm not really sure how to advise you. Is there someone you can talk to about your anxiety? I'm sure you already know that you need vet hours no matter what stands in your way. You need to focus on spending the next few years at the top of your class and overcoming your anxiety in order to build experience.

thank you so much. yeah, i didn't want to apply for vet school in my 4th year because of my situation. if i'm able to do a masters program to bring this gpa up, i would. the only thing i think about is the debt i will be in.

i'm currently going to counseling so hopefully i can get help with this anxiety.

i took my pre-req's; the only one i have left is speech and i dropped it 2 times already. i want to get it over with. if this thread is annoying to you, you dont have to comment in here.

You're talking about Gen-Ed's. You said haven't taken any of your pre-req courses (those required for vet school applications).
When you post the same things over and over, people are going to get tired of giving you the same advice.

thank you so much. yeah, i didn't want to apply for vet school in my 4th year because of my situation. if i'm able to do a masters program to bring this gpa up, i would. the only thing i think about is the debt i will be in.

i'm currently going to counseling so hopefully i can get help with this anxiety.

I assume you're on academic probation with a gpa like that? They should be able to direct you to resources that can help you with your academics. There's really nothing else to say about grades like that except you need to radically change something. Go to your academic support center, get tutors for all your subjects, etc., etc., etc.

Vet school is out of the picture for the near future. If you would be happy as a vet tech, then that is a perfectly reasonable career to consider. I know the admissions requirements vary widely, but vet techs also take science courses. So, you need to figure out how to attack science courses and win.

Look up toastmaster's club for public speaking.

Then get off SDN and start studying!

if this thread is annoying to you, you dont have to comment in here.

Nothing new to add here. Your previous half-dozen threads will contain all the advice we have to give. All I can say is - stop talking about "going to start" getting A's - go out and do it.

When you post the same things over and over, people are going to get tired of giving you the same advice.

FutureVet90, you may not be aware of this, but the same people are going to read your threads. There are a group of pretty consistent posters on here, so when we are telling you that we have given you all the advice we can, it's because we literally have. No one is trying to discourage you, but please understand, the majority of the people reading each thread you start, have read the previous threads you've started, and gave you advice there. I think you may be confused about how the forum works, or maybe what a "small world" it is on here.

I assume you're on academic probation with a gpa like that? They should be able to direct you to resources that can help you with your academics. There's really nothing else to say about grades like that except you need to radically change something. Go to your academic support center, get tutors for all your subjects, etc., etc., etc.

Vet school is out of the picture for the near future. If you would be happy as a vet tech, then that is a perfectly reasonable career to consider. I know the admissions requirements vary widely, but vet techs also take science courses. So, you need to figure out how to attack science courses and win.

Look up toastmaster's club for public speaking.

Then get off SDN and start studying!

yeah i'm on probation. if wouldve received an A instead of an B in one course, i probably wouldve moved up to 2.0 which would be off probation. but in the summer i have to meet with a student progress coordinator weekly, to help with study skills and etc. i think i have to join study groups as well.

i have to meet with a student progress coordinator weekly, to help with study skills and etc. i think i have to join study groups as well.

Good!

It sounds like your college has a helpful program set up so that you can figure out how to succeed rather than just failing out. Take full advantage of it!

And check out some vet clinics for shadowing opportunities this summer if you want to. I would recommend asking at your local animal shelter so that you can just be watching the vet & tech without a client present.

Futurevet,

I'm just curious as to what kind of advice you are seeking? Your last few threads are full of good nuggets :thumbup:. As other posters have said, we don't really have any more advice for you. Concentrate 150% on your grades. Don't worry about vet experience right now. Don't consider a Master's until you finish your Bachelor's. Get your GPA up to a 2.8 (3.0 ideally) or so and then come back and ask us what to do next.