need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tunit2190

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm really glad I found this site.

Before I start and explain what's been on my mind, I want to say thanks in advance for anyone who sees this and helps me out.

I'm a 4th year undergraduate student. I did part of my undergrad in the States and then transferred to the UK. I'm just about finishing up my last term.

Recently I was offered a PhD position to stay here at Oxford for Medical Physics. It is a really great opportunity; I like the group a lot and especially the research I'll be doing. On the other hand, for some time now I've been really interested in the MD/PhD programs that we have back in the States. Ordinarily, I would just apply to these programs and see if I get in somewhere. I don't have that luxury. Applying to MD/PhD programs would mean an almost 2 year gap for me.

Where I do my research is really important. If I don't really have a shot at the top notch MD/PhD programs, then I wouldn't want to apply and waste their time. I would go with the PhD in the UK, save myself a years time and decide later on down the road if I'm still keen on medical school.

So I want to know is if I have a fighting chance at some of these top programs. I'd love to shoot for Harvard/MIT, Stanford, Duke and Yale. These places are really the only schools that are doing the type of physics I'm interested in.

I have a 3.81 gpa in Physics. I have not taken the MCATs yet, which is another huge thing I know. I have just submitted the revisions of my paper for my first peer reviewed journal. I'm the first author and the paper is going to Biophysical Journal (fingers crossed). I worked as an EMT for ~3 years. I enjoy being in a clinical setting and around people. I will say that I'm much more interested in translational medical research than clinical medicine. I'm really keen on radiology and radiation physics. I would love to get the medical eudcation/background that comes with it. That's me in a nutshell. Oh and I have a few department awards and grants here and there. I was nominated by my school for the Goldwater (didn't make it any further). That's it.

To be honest, and i'm not saying this in self-pity but I don't think I have too much of a shot at these top notch places. I'd be very happy to take what I have now, do my PhD first and then apply to medical school later on down the road if I'm still keen. What do you guys think? Should I just save my time and money?

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

It's impossible to give you an answer without an MCAT score. For MD/PhD programs, every part of the application really counts. As it stands, you stand a fair chance, in my opinion. Do you have any idea on how you would do on the MCAT? Taken any practice tests?

Hey man, thanks for getting back.

I have, i've taken two fhe AAMC practice ones (3 and 5). I got 34's on both of them. I have been studying for just about 3 weeks now. I'm planning to take them in April.

Hey man, thanks for getting back.

I have, i've taken two fhe AAMC practice ones (3 and 5). I got 34's on both of them. I have been studying for just about 3 weeks now. I'm planning to take them in April.

I'd say if you can pull a 35+ then you'd have a pretty good shot. Anything with higher tiers is always uncertain, so I would apply to some middle tier MD/PhDs, too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile