Need some advise from current pharm school student or pharmicist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endeavor6636

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone:), i am currently second year student at UCdavis, i am struggling if i should go for pharmacy career or not. the reason is becasue its so competitive for applying pharm school; its like only 120 out of 1200 applicant can get in. i want to know what B.S degree is good for pharm major or other health care related career. waht other option u have if u failed to apply farm school? can u work in pharm stores etc. with that B.S degree? is it really that competitive? please tell me some of your experience when u applying for pharm school( for ex: what u did to make u really got in to pahrm school and what back up plan u had when u were pre-pahrm students ,etc) thanks you

Members don't see this ad.

the reason is becasue its so competitive for applying pharm school; its like only 120 out of 1200 applicant can get in. is it really that competitive?

There are over a hundred of pharmacy schools nationwide. It may be competitive to get into a good school. The ratio may be that high. However, many applicants applied to many schools at the same times. Those 1200 applicants included those students canceling the interviews and student who gave up the spots (because they are accepted at their top choices). The actual ratio won't be that high. Those number are the purpose of propaganda.

If you want to be a pharmacist, go for it. What do you have to lose?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to be a pharmacist, go for it. What do you have to lose?

i just worrying tha if i cant get into pharm school i would end up wasting time keep applying if lucky i might got into pharm school after got my Bachlordegree, if i was unlucky, it might take me 10 years or more in order to get into pharm school. until then i would be like 30-40 years old . it gives me a feeling like i am palying gambling if i go for pharmacy career . thats what makes me keep thinking if i should go for it or not :(

i am narrow my career into 3 choice:
1.if pharmacy i go get a biochem degree first
2.computer science degree
3. electrical engineering

If you want to do pharmacy, then I recommend a bachelors in a major science (bio, chemistry, biochem). This only gives you a stronger foundation of knowledge. I don't think it will make you a more competitive applicant. I had a bachelors degree in computers. Just score in the 90s on the PCAT and you are guaranteed to get in somewhere. =)

If you want to do pharmacy, then I recommend a bachelors in a major science (bio, chemistry, biochem). This only gives you a stronger foundation of knowledge. I don't think it will make you a more competitive applicant. I had a bachelors degree in computers. Just score in the 90s on the PCAT and you are guaranteed to get in somewhere. =)

i am thinking amjor in computer or electrilcal engineer first cuz even if i dont get in pharm school i got a decent job to work on . rxblitzrx since u have a bs in computer , do u think computer still easy to get a job?:confused:

Get a CDL license find a good radiology program and learn how to run a portable MRI machine..that will make you some decent money.