Need Some Advise - Low GPA and MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StrawHatDMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

I'm a Pre Med with a cGPA of a 3.210 and a BCPM of 2.95. I applied to the pre health committee and got rejected. My major is Health Systems Management (non science).

I took my first MCAT and screwed it up. Although I studied for months, I got a 25, with breakdown as follows: PS - 11, VR - 6, BS - 8. I felt like I mastered the content. the problem is the week before my MCAT, i burned out, and I tried to study the week before but couldn't. The burn out carried over to my exam.

I completed my third year and have one more year left. I made mistakes and am ready to change the direction of my life and start working hard to get into medical school. What I wanted advice on is where should I go from here? Of course I plan on taking my MCATs again but outside of that, what should I do?

Here were some thoughts/suggestions I got:
1. Apply to medical school I was told to apply to medical school and try it out any ways. You never know. The issue with me is that I don't have any science rec letters on me. I feel like its a waste of time for me on the one hand seeing as though my stats are not that good. However, I would hate to waste a year. Keep in mind this is independent of the pre health committee. Also, for osteopathic schools, my science gpa is a 2.73 (i don't think they include the 'M' in their calculations)
2. Apply the end of Senior Year Which means I would reapply to pre health and do it with their guidance. Another benefit would be the year off. I can either work or pursue a masters program.
3. Masters Program? Looking in particular at Loyola's Masters in physiology program which is a one year non thesis program. You take 400 level courses that look like medical school courses. If you get a 3.5 and a 30+ on your most recent MCAT, you get an interview to the stritch school of medicine.

By senior year, I can bring my cGPA to around a 3.4, sGPA 3.0-3.1 I will also have an healthcare related internship my senior year which would probably look good on resume.

Thoughts? I don't care whether its MD or DO as long as its not international. Do I take a chance and apply this year or cut my losses and kind of start over starting this summer with the retake of the MCAT?

I also plan on taking a bio course this summer, neurobio, to improve my science GPA a little.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Don't apply this year. Retake the MCAT (the 6 in VR will kill your app) and shoot for 30+. Bring up the sGPA. The Master's Program will help your chances even more if you get A's in those classes.

You'll need at least 2 LORs from science faculty. If applying DO, a LOR from a DO is highly recommended if not required at many schools. Also, you can retake the science classes you did poorly in and the new grade will replace the old grade (DO only).