1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some basic info about pathology

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by AT747, Dec 4, 2002.

1. AT747

AT747 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello,

I need some basic information about how to become a pathologist. I'm a biology major student at UCD. I'm planning to take the April MCAT and applying to medical schools the following year. Can you guys tell me what steps do I need to take to become a pathologist? Can any medical students become a pathologist or is it only the top 10% of the class? Is there any important factor that I need to consider at this stage of my education ( ex. fellowship, research, etc. )?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Just get into med school, you will then be on the track. Pathology is not really that competitive, it is getting more so, but overall still not a real competitive specialty. Basically any american med school grad can get a residency spot in pathology somewhere. It might not be you first choice, but you will match somewhere.

If you want to increase you chances for a spot in a "top" program, research is always nice. Good grades and USMLE scores are even nicer.

But, like I said just work on getting into med school. That is the toughest step. Getting into path is a walk in the park compared to med school.

Good luck.