Need some basic info about pathology

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by AT747, Dec 4, 2002.

1. AT747

AT747 Junior Member

Hello,

I need some basic information about how to become a pathologist. I'm a biology major student at UCD. I'm planning to take the April MCAT and applying to medical schools the following year. Can you guys tell me what steps do I need to take to become a pathologist? Can any medical students become a pathologist or is it only the top 10% of the class? Is there any important factor that I need to consider at this stage of my education ( ex. fellowship, research, etc. )?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer

Non-Student
    Just get into med school, you will then be on the track. Pathology is not really that competitive, it is getting more so, but overall still not a real competitive specialty. Basically any american med school grad can get a residency spot in pathology somewhere. It might not be you first choice, but you will match somewhere.

If you want to increase you chances for a spot in a "top" program, research is always nice. Good grades and USMLE scores are even nicer.

But, like I said just work on getting into med school. That is the toughest step. Getting into path is a walk in the park compared to med school.

Good luck.