Need some encouraging words

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LOVE OB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't match last year in OB/Gyn, mainly because I was too selective and didn't rank enough programs (bad advice). Scrambled and got into a general surgery preliminary year and have been working my *** off!! This year I've applied to many many programs, mostly surgery. Am I at a disadvantage since I'm in a preliminary year and didn't match last year? I thought that a year of general surgery would be advantageous.I had good board scores.
I'm really getting nervous, I haven't gotten many interview offers. How late can I expect to get invitations to interview? I need some encouraging words!

Members don't see this ad.

It is still early in the process. Hopefully this will pick up for you this month. Experience does count for a lot but hopefully you applies as widely as possible to avoid another tactical mistake.

Over 100 applications. All over the country... I'll not be burned again!!! Although I might only be able to eat generic mac and cheese after paying all the fees to ERSA!!!:oops:

I can't speak for surgery (since surgery often has its own weird culture) but I didn't feel like applying as an intern hurt me in my field. If I were a program director, I'd probably prefer to take someone who has demonstrated they are reliable and can handle it over someone who is a total unknown.
Good luck! I hope you get what you want. :)

Thanks! What I really want is to have a decent place to work for the next 5-7 years with lot's of good experience. The uncertainty is killing me!

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you are applying to GS not OB/GYN?

I always enjoyed surgery as a student, and actually applied to 2 general surgery residency programs. Since doing my preliminary surgery intern year, I find that there is more that I like about surgery than OB. So maybe there was a reason i didn't match into OB after all and Someone up thee wants me to be a surgeon.

How many invites should I expect for general surgery??? Do they continue coming throughout the interviewing process. I've applied to over 100 programs. Have had 4 months of preliminary general surgery internship, good step 1 & 2 board scores, both MD and DO. Really getting nervous.... AGAIN!:eek:

I think I'm sorry I looked at that thread... I'm REALLY PANICKING now!:eek:

hang in there I applied to 201 (DO, MD, combined) programs in my chosen specialty and only have 5 interviews. Do what you can

Having been through this process twice for GS (and matching into a categorical spot the 2nd time), my opinion is that if you applied to 100+ programs and still have less than 10 interview invites at this point, it's likely that you will not match into GS. My advice would be obviously to still do your best to match, but also consider making back-up plans.

Is there anything in your application that makes it obvious that your original choice was ob/gyn? I am wondering if that might be the reason the GS programs aren't giving more love, because they don't realize you had a sincere change of heart and think you are using them as backups.

Is there anything in your application that makes it obvious that your original choice was ob/gyn? I am wondering if that might be the reason the GS programs aren't giving more love, because they don't realize you had a sincere change of heart and think you are using them as backups.

Good point. You didn't use letters of recommendation from OB/GYN attendings, did you?

Make sure to get some strong letters of recommendation. If you get to know some of the department chairs/program directors really well, ask that individual to make some personal phone calls on your behalf to other program directors/dept chairs. Those phone calls can still make a tremendous impact.