Need Some Expert Testimony on Forensics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hcysPsych

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd Year Psych Resident looking at various Forensic Fellowships. I am about to begin the application process, and it has come to my attention that Forensics does not participate in the Match. Some questions have surfaced:

How many fellowship programs have most fellows applied to? Is there a "safe" number?

What kind of sample Forensic Report have most of you submitted? What kind of Eval?

Do the LOR get mailed directly to all of the various programs by the various letter writers?

Does my medical school mail the transcripts directly to the various programs?

Is there a "deadline" for when all materials need to be in by? Is this also program dependent?

What time of year do most people visit these programs? Do away Rotations?

Thank you for your time and expertise. I am thrilled to learn as much as possible :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking into forensic too and though I cant answer your first question I have read up on some of the others. For the most part you can get most answers by emailing programs directly. AAPL.org has a mostly up to date list of active programs. As for applications I think most can be turned in may/June at the earliest but the DO vary by program. Whopper in an old post mentions that some programs fill in April! You can again visit the program pages individually as there is some variability in applications, materials required, dates accepted, etc.

I'm in the same boat as you though. If you are at a bigger program I would definately hit up old residents or current fourth years as I imagine them being the best resources not being too far removed from the process and all.

I'm looking into forensic too and though I cant answer your first question I have read up on some of the others. For the most part you can get most answers by emailing programs directly. AAPL.org has a mostly up to date list of active programs. As for applications I think most can be turned in may/June at the earliest but the DO vary by program. Whopper in an old post mentions that some programs fill in April! You can again visit the program pages individually as there is some variability in applications, materials required, dates accepted, etc.

I'm in the same boat as you though. If you are at a bigger program I would definately hit up old residents or current fourth years as I imagine them being the best resources not being too far removed from the process and all.

Yeah, I would recommend contacting programs as early as possible. I tried to apply to a program that I really wanted to get into in the summer and they had already filled their spots! I ended up only applying to one other program and got accepted. So I can't really help with general questions. But the program I got into had their own application process. Like hansano said, you really need to contact each program directly to see what they need. I've heard it can be a pain to apply to multiple forensic fellowship because of the variability in applications.