Need some feedback.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anliz

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a late 20-something employed as a caseworker. I have an undergrad degree in health education (3.0 gpa) and I'm currently pursuing a grad degree in counseling (4.0 gpa). I have strongly considered pursuing D.O. school (I'm a legacy) for some time now.
I haven't taken all the sci. prereqs yet either. Would I be wasting my time? What advice if any, could one be willing to extend to someone considering going down this path?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't see how you'd be wasting your time. Do well in your pre-reqs & on the MCAT and you'll be in good shape.

I'd recommend that you spend time shadowing different physicians to see what they do on a normal day. Be sure you're not idealizing the practice of medicine. (You don't want to go through the sometimes nasty process of med school to find out that you don't like the practice of medicine!)

Check with the schools you are interested in to be sure that you take the pre-reqs they require. You can also ask the admissions office about other things they like to see on an application.

Good luck!

Also read up on osteopathic medicine! I recommend "Osteopathic Medicine: A Reformation in Progress" by Gallagher and Humphrey.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for all your advice. I actually knew about osteopathy and An drew Taylor Still, before it was even popular as my great-grandfather was a D.O. I'd choose osteopathy over allopathy regardless. My grandfather and would probably be rolling over in his grave otherwise.

Every post bacc science course you take can raise your undergraduate average.

You might be able to pull your average up to a 3.2. If you get a good MCAT you will be a shoe in.

Good luck.

Originally posted by skypilot
Every post bacc science course you take can raise your undergraduate average.

You might be able to pull your average up to a 3.2. If you get a good MCAT you will be a shoe in.

Good luck.

actually......you're undergraduate gpa is fixed. Every post-bac course you take goes towards your post-bac gpa.

but don't worry about it. you sound like you'll be fine if you follow Dr. Mom's advice.

At least on the AMCAS postbacc undergrad grades are factored into your undergraduate GPA while graduate courses are not factored in. So you can raise your undergrad GPA through postbacc courses.

doing extra undergrad courses will be factored into your undegrad gpa. That is what happened to me.

I thought it would be looked at differently, but its not. The application does show your degree gpa and a PB gpa.

good luck

Taking extra sciences along with the pre-req's is a good way to raise the gpa: genetics, cell bio, neuro bio, endocrine and micro are all looked upon favorably.

Good luck!

just curious to know, what do you guys think about taking post bacc courses at a community college?

Double-O, I am in the same boat as the original poster anliz, and I have done some cold-calling. I'd like to pass along to both of you what I hear from admissions people in a few of the schools:

* The guy answering the phone at CCOM claimed that a postbacc won't demonstrate practical experience, and said he'd prefer someone who did a good job with pre-req courses on a part-time basis, while gaining practical experience (shadowing, volunteering, something clinical).

* A very nice woman at KCOM told me the opposite; that a postbacc would be intense and tough enough to show a real commitment to med school. Not that experience isn't important too, just that a part-time approach to the pre-req courses wouldn't show the ability to hack a heavy courseload.

* The admissions counselor at AZCOM told me that quality is much more important than quantity when it comes to both the classes and the experience. He also recommended I make a plan and get moving on it, rather than taking my time: I drew an inference that non-trads have extra advantages but also extra obstacles (as if we didn't know).

* PCOM's counselor summed it up very nicely: all they really care about in terms of pre-req courses is that they not come from a community college. Only four-year institutions are okay, and the school's reputation counts also. I think that's a bias that is fairly prevalent.

The other note about PCOM is that they have a post-bacc there, but it's aimed at those who are looking to strengthen their existing GPA in the sciences (or salvage a really lousy one). Apparently PCOM's post-bacc is a good destination for those with low MCATs, who are pumping up for the following year. The post-baccs I (and, I think, anliz) am looking for would be those for people who just don't have any science in the mix.

Check out the thread I started (called "Newbie Needs Advice") for a discussion of post-baccs.

Editoral comment: I happen to know a few CC instructors who decided on that path rather than big 4-year schools because they have a major love of teaching, don't like huge overcrowded classes, and enjoy having their genius rewarded with tenure at the age of 27. There are surely some very excellent science classes to be had at the 2-year schools. But I can understand how the need to draw a line and make a policy would mean that med schools insist on pre-reqs coming from 4-year schools.

EHallberg- thanx for the info...it was very helpful!