Need some guidance.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

francisfrancis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new as you can tell by my first post. So I'm technically C/O 2015 (Undergraduate-wise) and will be graduating this Fall (finish school by December). This summer, I've been attempting to study for the OAT, but I have no excuses. I didn't use my time wisely and I just started studying a couple of days ago. Earlier, I registered to take the OAT Sept 17th, but at this point, I probably won't be showing up. I have a couple of questions in regards to a time-line for applying/taking the OAT. I know people typically take the OAT the summer after their junior year, but what if you're like me and you wait until after graduation? If I want to begin applying/studying for the OAT after I graduate, how should I go about this? I'm confused on the timeframe for when to accomplish these things... Also, I may possibly want to take the Kaplan course if that matters.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no real timeline you have to follow. The timeline you're talking about is a suggested one for going straight from undergraduate to optometry school, but that isn't what you have to do. You can apply at some point over the next 6 months or so for this application cycle to go into school fall of 2016. If you are not comfortable and will wait to take the OAT after this cycle ends, then you wait for the next application cycle to open up next year in July. For you, I would suggest not taking the OAT or applying this cycle, and take it in March or April, giving you plenty of time to study, especially after you graduate. Then you will apply for the entering 2017 class in July. I think there is a way to cancel your OAT appointment or get it rescheduled, but I wouldn't just not show up.

Hi all,

I'm new as you can tell by my first post. So I'm technically C/O 2015 (Undergraduate-wise) and will be graduating this Fall (finish school by December). This summer, I've been attempting to study for the OAT, but I have no excuses. I didn't use my time wisely and I just started studying a couple of days ago. Earlier, I registered to take the OAT Sept 17th, but at this point, I probably won't be showing up. I have a couple of questions in regards to a time-line for applying/taking the OAT. I know people typically take the OAT the summer after their junior year, but what if you're like me and you wait until after graduation? If I want to begin applying/studying for the OAT after I graduate, how should I go about this? I'm confused on the timeframe for when to accomplish these things... Also, I may possibly want to take the Kaplan course if that matters.

I studied for a month and things turned out fine, but I had nothing else going on, so I was able to give it a lot of time. If you have a busy schedule from now until September and you just feel absolutely unprepared, I would probably recommend rescheduling as well. But if you have lots of time, just buy a subscription to Chad's videos (you're welcome) and spend as much time as you can with them. As far as time frame, each application cycle starts in July, and usually lasts until February/March depending on the school, for admission the following Fall of course. So basically if you wait until you graduate to apply, you would be waiting until July, to start school in the Fall of 2017. You really are the only person who can decide which would be better for you.

P.S. Kaplan is expensive, and unnecessary in my opinion. I'm sure many have found it helpful though.