Need some help asap

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mr. rx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, please help me out! my situation looks like this. I passed up on the application deadline to apply for USN for this fall of 07. Now I only need to complete 4 more prereqs(O Chem II, MicroBio, A&P I&II)...that's it But now I have SO much time to complete them, this Spring 07, Fall 08, Spring 08. SO...should I stress myself with 12 units(O Chem II, MicroBio, Composition II) this semester when I can be taking only 7 (MicroBio, CompositionII)?? Why not just suck it up and take 12 units you ask? Well, I do not want to jeopardize my very good GPA(3.84), and as stated before I can complete O Chem II later. But how will this affect my chances of getting in? I ask this because I'm afraid being part-time will look back to the ADCOM. is this true? Deyoung says they don't discriminate against part-time students, but yet I feel confused. Also I'm considering working as a pharm clerk again, so although part-time Id still be getting exp. Also does USN look at the fall semester prior to the application? I mean I will apply Sept. but will they ask for the fall grades the following January when Ill be interviewed. Please guys, it'd be real cool if you can help me out, especially those already in USN. Thanks in advance.. Bye

Members don't see this ad.

Alright guys, please help me out! my situation looks like this. I passed up on the application deadline to apply for USN for this fall of 07. Now I only need to complete 4 more prereqs(O Chem II, MicroBio, A&P I&II)...that's it But now I have SO much time to complete them, this Spring 07, Fall 08, Spring 08. SO...should I stress myself with 12 units(O Chem II, MicroBio, Composition II) this semester when I can be taking only 7 (MicroBio, CompositionII)?? Why not just suck it up and take 12 units you ask? Well, I do not want to jeopardize my very good GPA(3.84), and as stated before I can complete O Chem II later. But how will this affect my chances of getting in? I ask this because I'm afraid being part-time will look back to the ADCOM. is this true? Deyoung says they don't discriminate against part-time students, but yet I feel confused. Also I'm considering working as a pharm clerk again, so although part-time Id still be getting exp. Also does USN look at the fall semester prior to the application? I mean I will apply Sept. but will they ask for the fall grades the following January when Ill be interviewed. Please guys, it'd be real cool if you can help me out, especially those already in USN. Thanks in advance.. Bye

Dude, you've got a year. Take it slow. No reason to harm the GPA or have to cram everything in one quarter so that next year the only thing you remember is that there was something mentioned about spectrosco... something. Go part time, work as a clerk, enjoy the experience and get in next year with your stellar GPA.

About sending them your fall transcripts, I'd probably do it, especially if you do well in the classes that you take in the fall. USN wants you to complete at least 4 of the 8 required science pre-reqs before you apply. Since you've got 4 more to go, it looks like you've completely just the 4 that is required. Since USN does look at the amount of pre-reqs you've taken at the time of your interview, I would definitely submit those fall transcripts, especially if you do well.

I really don't think the school looks at the work load that you take. I believe they mainly look at your GPA. It kind of sucks for those students who have to work and take classes or are taking a large course load to either complete their pre-reqs or get their degree, but some schools are just like that, they only look at your GPA. Certainly you can stress that you've had that experience of a difficult work/school load during your interview and that will look very good, but I don't think they look at it negatively if you did not have that large of a workload, or only work part-time and went to school part-time. That's at least how I perceive this school to be.

Hope that helps,
-Anne

Members don't see this ad :)
Your current gpa is admirable. So take everything slow and try to keep it up as much as possible. As a reminder, USN is not the only 3-years private school in the states. So if you decide to apply to more other schools next year for more chance (which most people do), those other schools definitely look at that gpa. Regarding the course load: you can always tell them during the interview that you are part-time because you want more experiences working in pharmacy. That's what the end of the interview is for, it should be used for your questions/or explainations. Good luck!

I graduated in December and I would recommend everyone doing the same. It is quite nice to not have to worry about school for a few months and this gives me time to save up for school. But whatever you do, I wouldn't recommend taking all of them at once and stressing out, spread it out some.