Need Some Help Deciding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TempuraOreos

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I've been really fortunate to have received several acceptances so I'm starting to think about trimming down. I'm wondering if I should wait until financial aid comes out or just start letting go of schools now?

At the moment, I've managed to get into a few T-20s, McGovern and Long in Texas, and my FL state schools. Personally, I'd rather go OOS. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

There's a solid chance you'll get some scholarships (woah! 23 II), so I would heartily recommend holding out so that you can use other schools' scholarships/financial aid to ask for better financial aid at the school you eventually decide you want to attend. You're in the driver's seat now.

Reactions: 1 user
There's a solid chance you'll get some scholarships (woah! 23 II), so I would heartily recommend holding out so that you can use other schools' scholarships/financial aid to ask for better financial aid at the school you eventually decide you want to attend. You're in the driver's seat now.

Lol cool. Do you think I should drop schools I know I'm not really that interested in going to, even with aid?

Members don't see this ad :)
That would be the nice thing to do. Congratulations on your acceptances, you may very well be one of the few applicants who is offered attractive merit/recruitment money.

Goal is to hustle and leverage for as much aid as possible, so hoping it continues to work out. It's been going well so far so keeping my fingers crossed and staying optimistic.

Wait for aid to come in, look at your cost of attendances, then think where you’ll be happiest. Unless you want a super specific specialty or a career in academic medicine most med schools will do the trick. I interviewed at all MD’s in Texas and so far UTMB is top of my list because I loved the vibe and I’d be happy there

Wait for aid to come in, look at your cost of attendances, then think where you’ll be happiest. Unless you want a super specific specialty or a career in academic medicine most med schools will do the trick. I interviewed at all MD’s in Texas and so far UTMB is top of my list because I loved the vibe and I’d be happy there
I am interested in a competitive residency (currently ortho but open to something else) and I'm interested in Academia which makes me want to lean towards the T-20s.

I dropped one acceptance so far because: I prefer some of my other acceptances, they wanted a deposit in 2 weeks, they wanted me to pay for the CBC, and they aren't known for giving scholarships. I plan on holding my other acceptances until March when decisions for other schools are released and financial aid packages come out. Let me know what your strategy is since we're in similar positions.

I dropped one acceptance so far because: I prefer some of my other acceptances, they wanted a deposit in 2 weeks, they wanted me to pay for the CBC, and they aren't known for giving scholarships. I plan on holding my other acceptances until March when decisions for other schools are released and financial aid packages come out. Let me know what your strategy is since we're in similar positions.

I think I'm going to drop schools that I don't think I'd end up choosing regardless of aid. Then hold out until March for the rest. Texas schools are great bargaining chips especially since I'd get IS tuition.

I’d definitely start to trim. Think: “OK, if I was offered money to go here, would I have to think about going here Vs my top choice”. If it’s a toss-up or unclear, keep it; if not, withdraw.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, so sorry to hijack this thread but I was wondering if anyone here could clarify how the multiple acceptance report works this year. On February 19, when the “intend to enroll” option becomes available in AMCAS, the only thing the schools you’ve been accepted to will see is whether or not you intend to enroll in them, right? Or will they be able to see that you’ve intended to enroll in multiple, assuming you are seriously considering attending all of those schools? Can you “intend to enroll” in more than one school until financial aid offers come out, and then “commit to enroll” in April once you have all of that info at hand? I really don’t want to do anything unethical but financial aid will play a huge role in my decision, as I’m sure it will in many of ours, and I don’t want to not be offered financial aid if I don’t select the “intend to enroll” option at a given school.
Search @gonnif's recent posts.

Oh wait, I’ll link this thread in case anyone has the same questions as me, although I’m still unclear on what the schools themselves will see.

Traffic rules - Multiple Acceptance Report questions

Congratulations to @TempuraOreos on your success!

No worries about feeling like yourey hijacking the thread.
From my interivews, I don't think any school is really clear about what they'll do when it comes to the new traffic rules. I've seen slight variations across the board. My understanding is that schools can see if you plan to enroll else where but they just don't know where you've chosen.

Also, thanks. Honestly, never imagined doing this well.

What is your plan come February if you haven’t decided on one school yet?
Meh, holding on until financial aid comes out. Then start dropping. We have until April 30 to commit to enroll at one school do thayst what I'm going to do. Besides some schools don't even release acceptances until March so it wouldn't make sense to force someone to decide by Feb.

No worries about feeling like yourey hijacking the thread.
From my interivews, I don't think any school is really clear about what they'll do when it comes to the new traffic rules. I've seen slight variations across the board. My understanding is that schools can see if you plan to enroll else where but they just don't know where you've chosen.

Also, thanks. Honestly, never imagined doing this well.
The one thing that wasn't mentioned in most of my interviews was the waitlist procedures post-April 30th. Only one school mentioned how applicants would have to be the ones to inform other schools if they were offered a spot off of a waitlist and accepted the offer so they can view the financial aid package offered

Last edited:
The one thing that wasn't mentioned in most of my interviews was the waitlist procedures post-April 30th. Only one school mentioned how applicants would have to be the ones to inform other schools if they offered a spot off of the waitlist and accept the offer so they can view the financial aid package offered

Hmm, yeah the only thing I've heard is that you can be on as many waitlists as you want after the 30th. I wouldn't be surprised if we had to be the ones to reach out about waitlists movement.