Need some Help in choosing school type

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BIG Daddy#1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m just a pre-med (pre-GI) applicant that need some advise in choosing med school. I have applied to US MD and DO programs and several foreign MD schools (Caribbean). So far, I have not been accepted to any US MD programs, however I have acceptance from several DO schools such as Western and Touro in CA and acceptance from St George and Ross in the Caribbean. Since I wanna do GI in future, I was wondering if you guys can give me some advise in choosing the school type which will help me better to enter into GI residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Both DOs and FMGs are a much harder time getting a fellowship position, according to last year's numbers only 5% and 7% matched respectively. If you do attend an osteopathic or non-US school, definitely do a residency that has a GI fellowship, as programs will always take at least one of "their own." But anyways, how do you know at this stage in your career you want GI, most people change their minds even into residency. Keep an open mind

If you are patient and feel that you are really close to getting into a US school, I would hold out, even if it means a few extra years and try to go to a US school. US grads just have WAY MORE options when it comes to residency selection. Foreign grads are limited, but thats not to say that they dont get good residencies. They just have to do much much better on the boards to get into the top programs. In the end though, cream rises to the top.... if u want a competitive field, you have to be good throughout your career.

I have worked for a GI doc for tree years and I majored in Physiology and the GI part seems interesting to me so for sure I wanna do GI. As for waiting, I already took a year off and I don't want to wait another, in addition I don't know if I will get in to a US MD program for sure if I wait and reapply. So the only choice I have got is US Do, or foreign MD program. Anyway thanks you guys, please post more advise as it helps a lot