Aug 8, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everyone,

I am new to SDN but I am at a bit of crossroads right now and I figured I could come to you guys for some advice.

So anyways, I just graduated from UCR with 3.3 overall gpa and 3.3 science gpa as well. My gpa does show a positive trend. I took the mcat once and got a 23 (yuck!). My extracurriculars include being a founding member of Phi Delta Epsilon at UCR, volunteer experience at multiple hospitals, I am apart of various clubs, research and I am currently an ER scribe.

I know my gpa is nothing special and my mcat is terrible but I really want to go to med school and I am just not sure what the best option for me is. First, I was thinking of applying to Caribbean med schools such as St. George, AUC, and Ross but I have been told going to these schools will really limit your options in the future. On the other hand, I would be able to start much sooner if I don't decide to pursue going to school in the states.

So my question is should I just apply for the caribbean and hope they accept me or do I actually have a chance of making it into a medical school within the states? And if i do have chance, which schools should I apply to and what would be my best course of action? I know I would obviously have to take the mcat again but should I look in to postbaccs, masters, etc?

Thank you to whomever took the time to read and all help is much appreciated!

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Caribbean is a death trap.

Retake your MCAT and DO is an option.

MD is not possible in the near future.

About the Ads

bengirlxD

2+ Year Member
May 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Agreed with md- 2020. You should get a stellar MCAT grade and apply DO. Maybe retake some classes you did really poorly on

Aug 8, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Somebody want to explain why going to the Caribbean is not a good option? I know a lot of people that are working as doctors now who came from the caribbean and I am still a bit unsure of what the real disadvantages of it are compared to a DO school.

Thanks for the quick responses btw!

ZedsDed

You know what really grinds my gears?
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Somebody want to explain why going to the Caribbean is not a good option? I know a lot of people that are working as doctors now who came from the caribbean and I am still a bit unsure of what the real disadvantages of it are compared to a DO school.

Thanks for the quick responses btw!
Search through sdn and you will find countless threads on this subject.

Reactions: GrapesofRath

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Retake your MCAT and if you score 500 or higher and apply broadly to at least 20 schools next year you should receive several interviews.

About the Ads