Need some input before I submit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Night Hawk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I started a post-bac in Neuroscience & Behavior (didn't want to do a Master's) in order to boost my GPA and have done just that but I don't really want/need a second degree and am considering not finishing. I'd rather work over the next year and save up money. I'm 50/50 about what I want to do...

I know you need to finish a Master's Degree before you matriculate to medical school but do you need to finish any degree program or can I simply just change my status to non-degree? Also, I'm going to put down a degree and expected end date incase I do decide to finish but if I don't would I just need to inform the schools I'm applying to if indeed they don't require me to finish?

Opinions would be appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I started a post-bac in Neuroscience & Behavior (didn't want to do a Master's) in order to boost my GPA and have done just that but I don't really want/need a second degree and am considering not finishing. I'd rather work over the next year and save up money. I'm 50/50 about what I want to do...

I know you need to finish a Master's Degree before you matriculate to medical school but do you need to finish any degree program or can I simply just change my status to non-degree? Also, I'm going to put down a degree and expected end date incase I do decide to finish but if I don't would I just need to inform the schools I'm applying to if indeed they don't require me to finish?

Opinions would be appreciated, thanks!

You only need a bachelor's degree... not a masters

Just read your mdapps account:

3.47 cGpa, 3.69 sGpa (AMCAS)
3.67 cGpa, 3.80 sGpa (AACOMAS)

31 MCAT: 12bs, 11ps, 08,vr (7/2010, didn't apply that cycle)
30 MCAT: 12bs, 11ps, 07vr (4/13) :

----

Dude. You are a SHOE IN for any DO program. Are you serious?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just read your mdapps account:

3.47 cGpa, 3.69 sGpa (AMCAS)
3.67 cGpa, 3.80 sGpa (AACOMAS)

31 MCAT: 12bs, 11ps, 08,vr (7/2010, didn't apply that cycle)
30 MCAT: 12bs, 11ps, 07vr (4/13) :

----

Dude. You are a SHOE IN for any DO program. Are you serious?

I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to do D.O. until recently and I was boosting my gpa in order to be competitive for M.D. programs.

Once you start a masters you have to finish it before you can matriculate, or so is my understanding from this forum...

Your stats are solid for some MD schools as well... DO you should be good...

Once you start a masters you have to finish it before you can matriculate, or so is my understanding from this forum...

Your stats are solid for some MD schools as well... DO you should be good...

This :thumbup:

OP- You'll get in somewhere, MD or DO. Just do well during your interviews.

You're doing what I'm doing.

I got a B.S a couple of years ago and I just re-enrolled as a degree seeker. I only opted for being a degree seeker because of class registration priority(non degree seekers have priority over ONLY the new students, which is bullcrap).

Though my university thinks I'm seeking a second BS, I'm not claiming it on my applications, and I'm only stating on my PS that "I may get a second BS before matriculating". But I'm not claiming it on the apps becuase I think it's only possible to wrap it up in the Fall of 2013

You're doing what I'm doing.

I got a B.S a couple of years ago and I just re-enrolled as a degree seeker. I only opted for being a degree seeker because of class registration priority(non degree seekers have priority over ONLY the new students, which is bullcrap).

Though my university thinks I'm seeking a second BS, I'm not claiming it on my applications, and I'm only stating on my PS that "I may get a second BS before matriculating". But I'm not claiming it on the apps becuase I think it's only possible to wrap it up in the Fall of 2013

I'm going to do the same. Thanks for the input everyone!