Need some insight on a C-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twocentnews

Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for reading. A few months ago, I was fortunate enough to gain acceptance to NYCOM for this fall's class. I am currently taking the last of my pre-reqs, the 1-credit organic chemistry laboratory course for spring semester. I finished my Bachelor's degree last May, so the 2 lab requirements were all I had left.

I ended up retaking Organic Chemistry 1 (entire lecture + lab) for 4 credits, and got an A- to replace my C+. I have a B- in Organic chem 2 lecture (3 credits) from my previous university, so I decided to just take the lab portion of the course (the remaining 1 credit), and ended up getting into NYCOM anyway because I had other, very good grades.

HOWEVER, now I have reached a dilemma. I recently missed a lab by accident (due to schedule changes I didn't notice) and have to do a make-up. This is causing my lab grade for that 1-credit to fall to a C- potentially. How will this affect my acceptance to NYCOM? I am really afraid they won't count it...and I won't get to start school in the fall.

I emailed the school, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. Anything you guys know would be greatly appreciated.

I also thoroughly hate myself right now...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Thanks for reading. A few months ago, I was fortunate enough to gain acceptance to NYCOM for this fall's class. I am currently taking the last of my pre-reqs, the 1-credit organic chemistry laboratory course for spring semester. I finished my Bachelor's degree last May, so the 2 lab requirements were all I had left.

I ended up retaking Organic Chemistry 1 (entire lecture + lab) for 4 credits, and got an A- to replace my C+. I have a B- in Organic chem 2 lecture from my previous university, so I decided to just take the lab portion of the course, and ended up getting into NYCOM anyway because I had other, very good grades.

HOWEVER, now I have reached a dilemma. I recently missed a lab by accident (due to schedule changes I didn't notice) and have to do a make-up. This is causing my lab grade for that 1-credit to fall to a C- potentially. How will this affect my acceptance to NYCOM? I am really afraid they won't count it...and I won't get to start school in the fall.

I emailed the school, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. Anything you guys know would be greatly appreciated.

I also thoroughly hate myself right now...

I'm under the impression that you must have a C or better in all pre-reqs after you have been conditionally accepted. I think you know this.

What I would do is tell the professor (or TA) that you have been accepted into Medical school and can't receive a grade lower than a C. Try and figure out how to get it up - I'm sure he/she will work with you through an extra assignment. Or, maybe since it's a 1 unit lab they won't care, but until you hear back from NYCOM, I'd meet with the lab prof ASAP and work something out just to be safe.

Call them to be for sure

but to the best of my knowledge, C's or better keeps you in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got C- in an intro chem class my freshman year, I just retook it because the school I am going to said all prereqs must be a C or higher, aka C- doesnt count.

Even if it's just the 1-credit lab part, huh? I did contact a school about taking it over, but they only have it from July-August 17, which sucks because NYCOM starts August 12 I think.

If none of the other options work out, have you considered going to a CC or another university that would offer the class before you start? When I was doing post bac, I remember a few CCs had the intensive orgo I & II 13 week summer course May-July. It might cost more if you go out of your state but may be well worth it not to have to delay school if you have to get a C. Good luck!:luck:

If none of the other options work out, have you considered going to a CC or another university that would offer the class before you start? When I was doing post bac, I remember a few CCs had the intensive orgo I & II 13 week summer course May-July. It might cost more if you go out of your state but may be well worth it not to have to delay school if you have to get a C. Good luck!:luck:

Thanks for the advice, TrimtheChute. I looked into a back-up plan just in case. I found the 1-credit lab is offered at another university, but the only problem is that it goes to August 17, and NYCOM starts before that I think. :confused: I also spoke to my prof for the class right now, and I think she's going to be a little more lenient about her late policy since I told her about my situation, so hopefully it will all work out.

Plus, I called NYCOM and left a message about my situation as well. I'll see what NYCOM has to say too, hopefully soon.

I'm in a similar position, however the class I'm currently at a C- in is NOT REQUIRED for admission....

Will they still kick me out if it's not a required class and I have a C-?

I wouldn't contact NYCOM until you have talked to your professor and have seen if he can change it or you can do something to change it... Explain your circumstances. Then go to/call NYCOM. Emailing looks lazy and irresponsible for such a pertinent issue.

Good luck.

I would talk to the current professor and see about changing the grade. Then, if that doesn't pan out, I would talk to the professor for the other course and see if its possible to complete it early. You need to fix a C-, it won't cut it, even for a 1cr lab. Your best bet is to talk to your prof, explain the situation, beg if you have to, but do what you must do to make sure you get a C...

So NYCOM got back to me, my file is already complete so I have nothing to worry about. However, I believe everyone is right about the C or better. I did talk to my professor, and she said she'll keep everything in mind when assigning a grade.

I think, for now, this is a situation under control.