Need some loan advice/help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

destination.dpt

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question but how do you go about getting loans for pt school? And when do you need to do it by? Any help is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This might be a stupid question but how do you go about getting loans for pt school? And when do you need to do it by? Any help is appreciated
I just applied for them through FAFSA & then let financial aid guide me as to taking out PLUS loans etc. I think when depends on when your classes start. Just reach out to your school's FA office and ask them

For federal unsubsidized and grad-plus loans, complete your FAFSA and input all your potential schools when filling it out. Those schools will receive your information and if you are an accepted student, they will give you a financial aid offer (loans will be offered to the full cost of attendance minus scholarships/grants). You need to have your FAFSA completed as soon as possible since grant/scholarship funding is limited. Loans need to be accepted before you pay tuition. For private loans, you simply fill out the company's application; however, this is typically discouraged considering federal loan interest rates are only currently 6.08-7.08% and private loans range much higher, have variable apr's, and require a credit-check. If you have more questions, feel free to ask!
-Daniel (currently taking loans out for the Fall lol)

Not a stupid question at all! I was completely disoriented about student loans until I had to face them!
So you apply to PT schools. Get accepted. Then apply to student loans through the school financial aide office. They will give you a list of options where you can take student loans from. (School financial aide office should help you with all your questions - it's their job.)
You may want to contact schools and see your loans options before you pick the school. The government gives loans mostly to everyone (unless you have some bad financial background like filed bankruptcy, committed fraud, already have a huge student loan [not sure about the amount, but want to say more than $180K]) and they do not ask for a co-signer. For me, those loans were Stanford and Grad Plus. Most but not all schools provide Grad Plus loans, so you may have to take a private loan instead. Private loans usually have a higher interest rate and require a co-signer. My school gave us a couple of options for private loans. The third option would be to find yourself where to borrow money from which no one I have known ever done :).
So if you have not been accepted yet, do not worry about it for now. The only thing you can do is to contact schools and ask the loans options they offer and if those options are from government or private. Check with the amount of money you can get from each loan. (Stanford loan from government for me was limited to $20K-ish a year, but Grad Plus covered the rest.) You may (or may not) be able to use this information if you have to pick a school after getting accepted in multiple schools. But things may change, so really don't worry about it for now.

• Love