Need some opinions, please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tony1853

Career Switcher!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I need some opinions about the prerequisite coursework I should take before applying to the professional phase of some BS PA programs.

I will be taking the prereqs at the College of Staten Island - CUNY (CSI). Their PA program is affiliated with Harlem Hospital Center. This program has more prereqs than the other 2 I am looking at (SUNY Downstate and Pace University/Lenox Hill Hospital). For example, neither SUNY nor Pace requires physics courses; CSI/Harlem not only requires a full year of physics, but they also require advanced human anatomy and pharmacotherapeutics.

If I decide not to take the physics, adv anatomy, and pharmaco, I think that I can pull off the prereq's in 2 semesters (summer 05, fall 05, spring 06 - this means I would be done in May 2006). By taking them, I have to go for 3 semesters, and would be done in December 2006.

If I am done in May 2006, I would have applied to Downstate and Pace in Jan 2006. The Downstate program, for example, begins June 1. If I go the 3 semester route and finish in December 2006, I would apply in January of 2007 for admission in June 2007.

So...the difference here is 1 year.

Now that I have soul-searched and found that I want to be a PA, I want to get there already!

So...I am canvassing for opinions: should I take the additional courses that are not required by 2 of the 3 programs I will apply to, in an effort to "get on with the show" a whole year earlier? ...bearing in mind that going the 2 semester route will require that I take a 20 credit load in one of those semesters...

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, I don't really understand why physics is required in ANY PA school (especially a BS program!) A couple yrs ago a school I applied to in CA required physics (they were a new program) but removed it the following yr. I went through a horrible summer of physics just so I could cover my bases for that one school. I didn't get accepted there, but am lucky to now be at a school that doesn't require it! Anyways, I would seriously look into this advanced anatomy & pharmacotherapeutics, because these would generally be taught IN PA school already. Take a look at that program that requires it and find out if they even teach gross anatomy and pharmacology during the 1st year (because they should!). I would rather consider the other 2 programs you're looking at. In my opinion, taking these 3 classes are just unnecessary stress that you don't need while you're trying to do other prereqs plus apply to PA school!
Hope this helps! :oops:

Thanks for the opinion! Firstly, I am looking at the Harlem Hospital program as my 3rd choice...I guess the only downside to not taking physics, pharmaco and adv. anatomy is that if I didn't make it into my first 2 choices, I wouldn't have the prereq's to even apply to the Harlem program...

If I decide not to take those courses, and try to condense the prereq's into 2 semesters opposed to 3, the biggest concern I have is that one of the 2 semesters would be 20 credits...obviously, I need the highest grades possible, and I am concerned about grades slipping under the 20-credit load...I am anxious to get the pre-reqs done, but I don't want to fall victim to the "haste makes waste" adage...

melcal said:
To be honest, I don't really understand why physics is required in ANY PA school (especially a BS program!) A couple yrs ago a school I applied to in CA required physics (they were a new program) but removed it the following yr. I went through a horrible summer of physics just so I could cover my bases for that one school. I didn't get accepted there, but am lucky to now be at a school that doesn't require it! Anyways, I would seriously look into this advanced anatomy & pharmacotherapeutics, because these would generally be taught IN PA school already. Take a look at that program that requires it and find out if they even teach gross anatomy and pharmacology during the 1st year (because they should!). I would rather consider the other 2 programs you're looking at. In my opinion, taking these 3 classes are just unnecessary stress that you don't need while you're trying to do other prereqs plus apply to PA school!
Hope this helps! :oops: