Need some outlook on hospital pharmacy!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubbles2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I recently graduated pharm school and am working retail, which I do enjoy for the most part. I've worked retail as a tech/pharmacist for 10 years but nowadays it is getting less and less enjoyable and rewarding with these companies cutting tech hours so much and of course working with the public is NEVER an easy job lol. I am thinking of applying for a hybrid taff/clinical position at a small hospital. However, I am afraid I might not like because I get bored very easy if I am not really busy. Can someone tell me what their typic day is like as a hospital pharmacist? I know every hospital is different but just in general what you day is like. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

i work as a staff pharmacist at a ~300 bed community hospital. i also work overnights so it's a little different for me, i am mostly there by myself after midnight on weekends and after 2am on weekdays. sometimes it's crazy and other times its not too bad. basically, i just verity orders, prepare ivs, sometimes bring meds to the floor, i.e. i am there for emergencies since i am mostly there by myself after a certain hour. i love what i do and i think hospital>retail, hands down. the pay might be a little low but i feel way more happy and satisfied then i ever would in retail.

I work in a mid sized community hospital - I love it. I spend 50% of my time in the ED, the rest in gen med, order entry, or IV room. I get to take a 45 minute lunch, go to the bathroom when I want, chat for 10-15 minutes with a doc - and enjoy my life

I moonlighed at chain retail, no comparrison to me

I typically work in our ICU satellite. You have some days that are extremely hectic, and others where you have nothing but free time. Most days the workflow remains steady, but you usually have time to work on projects or chat with your co-workers. That can all change in the blink of an eye in an ICU though, so we enjoy every relaxing day. It can definitely be exciting since you are exposed to new and interesting cases of the time.