Quantcast

need some serious advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbear

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
im not really sure what to do here and im stressing a lot so if anyone has any advice please help me! i got a full ride to umdnj-njms plus a $10000/year stipend, basically guaranteeing me that i will come out of med school debt-free. however, i didn't like njms when i visited and i am also into nyu and was all set to go there before i heard about the scholarship. my question is...is it worth the extra money to go to nyu? what about residency placement if i want to go into one of the competitive specialties and definitely don't want to do primary care? or should i just suck it up, go to njms even though i didn't get a very good vibe, and have the luxury of not being like a million dollars in debt? any advice or any factors that i should take into consideration would be much appreciated.

G_Eagle

MS4 -> R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
See if your school of choice will match the scholarship or make an offer at least. I know there are schools that will do that...

Supadupafly

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UMDNJ is a very good school. NYU is rated more highly, but is not necessarily that much better. You could ask NYU for a scholarship, but with a full ride and stipend at NJMS, I would definately go.

Rendar5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do you care more about? not being poor or going to a school you like?

Does njms have a 2nd-look weekend? If so, go back to see if you still have the bad vibe.

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted into NJMS, and when I spoke with Dean Heinrich, he said that there was a very good possibility of me getting a full scholarship. As soon as I was accepted, however, I withdrew, because I really didn't get a good vibe from the school (see NJMS vs. RWJ thread).

I chose my undergrad because I got a full scholarship to go there, and although I enjoyed my time there, I know that I would have liked it even better at other places. With that in mind, I have no intention of going to med school to a place I dislike - regardless of financial aid.

Just my personal opinion, but if you didn't like it, don't go there. I'm not :).

- Quid

Sharkfan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh my God, a full scholarship to med school...

You are lucky lucky people. I envy you!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

On a more serious note, I agree with what someone else said; which matters more, a school you like or being debt free and instantly in the black? AND, you might want to go visit the "bad vibe" school and see if it still makes you feel that way. Ask around as much as you can; my guess is that current students should be able to help the most.