Need Some Serious Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fernando Torres

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to get straight to the point, and just pour my heart out. I am a solid applicant, pretty much in every aspect, and I am not here to brag in anyway, shape or form.

In the 2nd semester of my first year. I took 4 classes, got an A in in 2 classes, a C+ in bioethics, and a B in microbiology.

I have the opportunity to retroactively withdraw from micro, and bioethics, as I was seriously depressed and I couldn't handle school at the time.

I did much better in 2nd and 3rd year, getting pretty much a 4.0. However, if I retroactively withdraw from those 2 classes my GPA will skyrocket.

My concern is that ADCOMS would see that I took such a very light course load in the 2nd semester of my first year, and would hold it against me. I honestly have no "reason" that would please ADCOMS, which I think is ridiculous, because I can't think of one person who hasn't gone through a tough time in their life, and as soon as you say "illness" your application is pretty much in the trash. They are medical professionals and they can't seem to understand that having a previous mental illness doesn't make you "weak" or "can't handle the rigor of medical school".

Anyway, enough with my ranting, and I would like your opinion guys. Thank you so much guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to get straight to the point, and just pour my heart out. I am a solid applicant, pretty much in every aspect, and I am not here to brag in anyway, shape or form.

In the 2nd semester of my first year. I took 4 classes, got an A in in 2 classes, a C+ in bioethics, and a B in microbiology.

I have the opportunity to retroactively withdraw from micro, and bioethics, as I was seriously depressed and I couldn't handle school at the time.

I did much better in 2nd and 3rd year, getting pretty much a 4.0. However, if I retroactively withdraw from those 2 classes my GPA will skyrocket.

My concern is that ADCOMS would see that I took such a very light course load in the 2nd semester of my first year, and would hold it against me. I honestly have no "reason" that would please ADCOMS, which I think is ridiculous, because I can't think of one person who hasn't gone through a tough time in their life, and as soon as you say "illness" your application is pretty much in the trash. They are medical professionals and they can't seem to understand that having a previous mental illness doesn't make you "weak" or "can't handle the rigor of medical school".

Anyway, enough with my ranting, and I would like your opinion guys. Thank you so much guys.
Were you clinically diagnosed with depression? :eek:
This topic has been discussed ad nauseum, lol.
Adcoms already know that the first year is tough on most people. If you have decent GPA at the time of application and an upward trend, it's not much of a concern.

Your goal now is to get a decent MCAT score. That is all.

Members don't see this ad :)

I wouldn't quit professional soccer for medical school, just my $0.02.

Reactions: 1 users