need something cleared up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFeelgoodMD

below is a TRUE avatar...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do colleges use to determine graduation criteria? Is it the earned credits or the GPA hours? My college says we need 122 to graduate, but im a little confused as to what they are talking about. If anyone could help clarify this that would be great!

Thanks,

J :)

Members don't see this ad.

They're referring to credit hours or earned credit (same thing). GPA hours are the number of credits per course times the numerical equivalent of the grade you earned.

For example, you took a 4 credit course and earned an A. Thus, you earned 4x4 =16 GPA hours.

the negative 1 said:
For example, you took a 4 credit course and earned an A. Thus, you earned 4x4 =16 GPA hours.

I see that on my transcript but they are calling that "quality points". Here is what a class would look like on my transcript:

FInal Grade: A
Attempted: 4.00
Earned: 4.00
GPA Hours: 4.00
Quality Points: 16.00

Looking at my UG summary, my earned credit hours, and GPA hours are pretty close...only off by 3 or so, and that why I am confused which one to look at.

Members don't see this ad :)
Earned credit hours are what counts toward graduation. Say you took 16 credits per semester for 8 semesters = 128 credit hours earned, which has nothing to do with the grade you received. It just means you passed those classes. GPA hours are used for calculating your quality points, GPA hours x credits earned.

Quality points are what I meant by GPA hours in my example (sorry for the confusion). The sum of your quality points divided by the number of credit hours earned = your GPA.

UVMTrifecta said:
I see that on my transcript but they are calling that "quality points". Here is what a class would look like on my transcript:

FInal Grade: A
Attempted: 4.00
Earned: 4.00
GPA Hours: 4.00
Quality Points: 16.00

Looking at my UG summary, my earned credit hours, and GPA hours are pretty close...only off by 3 or so, and that why I am confused which one to look at.

Did you have 3 credit hours as AP credit or taken pass/fail? GPA hours are the hours that affect your GPA, but Earned hours are all the hours you've gotten credit for towards your degree. So if you got AP credit for a Chem 101 class that's normally 3 hours, you would have GPA hours 0.00 (doesn't affect your GPA, just like P/F) and Earned hours 3.00.

Johnny_one_eye said:
Did you have 3 credit hours as AP credit or taken pass/fail? GPA hours are the hours that affect your GPA, but Earned hours are all the hours you've gotten credit for towards your degree. So if you got AP credit for a Chem 101 class that's normally 3 hours, you would have GPA hours 0.00 (doesn't affect your GPA, just like P/F) and Earned hours 3.00.

I totally forgot about my AP credit! It makes much more sense now...thanks for all your help!

J