Technology need suggestions on PDA/GPS software and hardware

Started by lanziii
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lanziii

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a SONY clie,I need "address-to-address direction" function (I'm direction challenged) in addition to other common GPS function, could anybody suggest some software/hardware. I have been searching the internet for a week, still don't have a clue.
 
lanziii said:
I have a SONY clie,I need "address-to-address direction" function (I'm direction challenged) in addition to other common GPS function, could anybody suggest some software/hardware. I have been searching the internet for a week, still don't have a clue.

Software: Use microsoft pocketstreets.. It's not expensive, and the maps are free and available from their website. (Teeny-tiny towns do not have maps, but you can find them on other websites)

Hardware: So many options. Check out http://www.garmin.com/mobile for handheld GPS..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello

Chances are that your Sony Clie does not have Bluetooth, which is what most people would go for currently. For about US$100 you can buy a bluetooth GPS receiver that interfaces with a PDA. There are no memorystick adapters that work as a GPS, but there are compactflash GPS cards...

In essence, if you're looking for something not too fancy, I'd guess for about US$300 you could get a bluetooth GPS and a bluetooth-enabled PDA. Try Dell's Axim.

regards,
Leo
 
I've got a Sony Clie TH55 and found that TomTom Navigator 2004 does a really really good job, much better than Mapopolis. The software itself doesn't specifically state that it supports the TH55, but it works with no problems. If you can wait, the newer version, TomTom 5, will be coming out supposedly mid-May and it does list the TH55 as supported.