Need suggestions to my case

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nkbbm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a Ph.D. in Entomology, and doing postdoc now. I'd like to be a PT, for the good job market prospect, and I like sports too. My B.A.was in China, dual major in biology and education, Phd in Purdue University.
undergrad GPA: 3.6.
Master GPA: 3.76
PhD GPA: 3.74
GRE: I took it back in 2001, score pretty high, don't know if I have to take it again.. :<
I had most pre-req course except health related or physics.

No volunteer hours but I plan to go to the local clinic and try to get volunteer in PT service or rehab...
Do I need take a kinesiology class for the pre-req?
I also have 1 toddler, and another 1 coming in May...

Do you guys think I have a chance for 2013 summer or fall? :confused: I will stay in IL or IN schools. I'm international but I have green card. Appreciate any advices or insight!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools don't accept GRE scores that are more than 5 years old, so you will need to take it again.

Most schools don't require specific kinesiology courses. There are variations in what each PT school requires, but here are the general prerequisite classes that most PT schools require:

*Biology 1+2, plus labs
*Chemistry 1+2, plus labs
*Physics 1+2, plus labs
*Anatomy and Physiology (2 semesters), plus labs
*Statistics
*General Psychology (and occasionally one more psych class, usually developmental psych or abnormal psych)

In addition, some PT schools may require medical terminology, English composition, exercise physiology, and/or pre-calculus. Not all schools require these additional prereqs.

Your GPAs look good!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I don't have some of the pre-req course, and I am out of school. what should I do?:confused:

If I don't have some of the pre-req course, and I am out of school. what should I do?:confused:

I'm sure there must be at least one community college not too far from where you live - you should be able to take the remaining prereqs there. That's what I did too because I had to take a number of PT prerequisites after I completed my master's degree in a different field.

If there is no community college where you live (that would be highly unusual), you can always take online classes. Just make sure that the school is accredited and the credits will be accepted by the PT programs you're applying to.

Some schools also require pre reqs to not be longer then 5 years old as well. Look at the schools that you wish to apply to and check out the web sites. If you have specific questions about your situation contact the admissions offices of your prospective schools, Good luck!

I'm sure there must be at least one community college not too far from where you live - you should be able to take the remaining prereqs there. That's what I did too because I had to take a number of PT prerequisites after I completed my master's degree in a different field.

Also, you can go ahead and apply with some prereqs outstanding so long as you will have them completed by the time the program begins. That's what I'm doing!

^to the above post - that depends on the program. I'm pretty sure most will let you have outstanding pre-reqs, some will only allow a certain number (columbia - only 3 can be not completed when you apply) or they want all of them completed by the time you apply (pretty sure UNC chapel hill requires this). So you should look into the specific program and find out, but most will allow some to be not-completed when you apply as long as you complete them before the start of the program