Need Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sprinkles

Want to be a Pharmacist!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some encouragement and suggestions regarding my grades and background. Below are my most current grades. I however am a bit older and had low grades on my undergrad years from 5 years past. All of these grades below are recent within the past two years. I am getting ready for my PCAT next month and studying my rear end off. I am a certified technician and have 4 years of hospital experience at one large hospital and a smaller specialized psychiatric state hospital. Because of my past grades my overall GPA falls into that dark 3.0 area. I wish I could erase my old grades and start new, but the show must go on....mistakes and all. My recent grades run me into that 3.4 range. I fear PharmCas will really hurt my GPA calculation and I am working on that as we speak. I have Organic 1 and 2, Microbiology and Physics left to take between this fall/spring semesters. My recent grades are not polished because I have held down a full-time job as a technician and time is the enemy for me. Is there any schools that consider non-traditional students and may understand where I am coming from more? I know I am not a polished young 4.0 student. I envy those who have done things right from the start. Knowing what I do know now about pharmacy, I wish I would of taken that route as a young adult. I love pharmacy but as technician you are so limited. I want to be able to take the responsibility of the pharmacy profession to the next level. Any info or suggestions would be great. :confused:

English 1: B
English 2: A

Speech: A

Chemistry 1/Lab: C/B
Chemistry 2/Lab: B/B

Physiology: B
Anatomy: C

Psychology: A

Calculus: B

Biology 1/2: A/B

Intro to Pharmacy: A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you keep your recent grades up, they'll override your older (poorer) grades. Besides, some pharmacy schools have a five-year limit on how old your prereqs has to be before applying. Others have about seven. If you can do well in your in PCAT, you'll be a competitive applicant in that aspect. Then your essays & interviews is the other aspect.

I need some encouragement and suggestions regarding my grades and background.

How old are you, if I may ask? I'm 26, and I feel like you about making mistakes and thinking I should have taken the right path when I started college years ago. But I tell myself I gotta work with what I've got and improve--that's all I can do. What you may think you lack in grades, you are definitely making up in pharmacy experience. I have a solid post-BS GPA but I'm lacking experience :(.

I think if you try to keep your grades up and show improvement, you will be good. All the best :).

Members don't see this ad :)
I am 27 and will be 28 this spring. I wish I could erase my past grades, but it is what it is and as my grandmother always said, "Suck it up Buttercup".

I am just going to grind as hard as I can this fall and spring with my classes and try to really increase my GPA and do well with my PCAT. I know the profession and love the profession, it is just a matter of proving myself academically sound to handle the schooling. Let the fun begin....or continue :oops: Good luck to all!

I am a certified technician and have 4 years of hospital experience at one large hospital and a smaller specialized psychiatric state hospital. I wish I could erase my old grades and start new, but the show must go on....mistakes and all.

I envy those who have done things right from the start. Knowing what I do know now about pharmacy, I wish I would of taken that route as a young adult. I love pharmacy but as technician you are so limited. I want to be able to take the responsibility of the pharmacy profession to the next level.

Your head is in the right place. What a great feeling, to have found a career you love! I reject that you're not still a "young adult" taking a route to a PharmD. What, you'll be 32 tops when you get out of pharmacy school? That's still 33+ years in a career you know is for you. How many people are that lucky? OK, I'm sure you meant "younger adult before I made mistakes," but how would you have known what path was for you without the experience (& mistakes) you have under your belt now?

Go for it! You can do it! :woot:

(I did cut the original post down to what I felt was the essence - not trying to quote out of context.)