MD Need to Apply OOS/DO? 3.7/3.6/515 ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGranolaKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Just finished up my junior year and I'm applying this cycle. I'm currently planning on applying to all TMDSAS schools and Baylor, but I'm hesitant to apply to TCU/UNT, UH, and any OOS schools due to the much higher CoA associated with those schools. Are there any weak spots in my application?
  • Year in school: Junior ORM Male
  • Country/state of residence: Texas
  • Undergrad Institution: T20 School in California (USC/UCLA/Berkeley)
    • Major: Economics/Mathematics
  • Schools to which you are applying: TMDSAS, Baylor
  • TMDSAS GPA: 3.78c, 3.70s
  • AMCAS GPA: 3.76c, 3.64s
  • MCAT Scores: 515 balanced
  • Research:
    • 1000 hours mathematical oncology research
      • One poster submitted, presentation cancelled due to covid
      • Multiple competitive university research fellowships
  • Clinical Experience:
    • 350hrs ER Scribing
    • 200hrs Crisis Textline
  • Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties:
    • 25hrs Urology
    • 20hrs Family Med
    • 20hrs Radiology
  • Non-clinical volunteering:
    • 150hrs teaching science at local low-income elementary school
    • 250hrs volunteer coaching youth soccer at local community center (became VP, President)
    • 100hrs teaching economics at local low-income middle school
  • Extracurricular activities:
    • Mental Health Chair for Fraternity
    • Ironman triathlon finisher, on cycling and rock climbing teams
    • Academic Tutor for SAT/ACT/high school
    • Day trading
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): Yes
  • Honors:
    • Selective half tuition merit scholarship
Questions I have:
-What are the weak spots in my application?
-Do I have much of a shot at UTSW/Dell/Mcgovern? I know that my GPAs are way out of range for UTMB and Baylor
-Would it be foolish of me to not apply to TCU/UNT and UH, and could/should I include some california schools too? What other OOS schools might be worth considering, assuming I should apply to schools outside of Texas? DO?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! Just finished up my junior year and I'm applying this cycle. I'm currently planning on applying to all TMDSAS schools and Baylor, but I'm hesitant to apply to TCU/UNT, UH, and any OOS schools due to the much higher CoA associated with those schools. Are there any weak spots in my application?
  • Year in school: Junior ORM Male
  • Country/state of residence: Texas
  • Undergrad Institution: T20 School in California (USC/UCLA/Berkeley)
    • Major: Economics/Mathematics
  • Schools to which you are applying: TMDSAS, Baylor
  • TMDSAS GPA: 3.78c, 3.70s
  • AMCAS GPA: 3.76c, 3.64s
  • MCAT Scores: 515 balanced
  • Research:
    • 1000 hours mathematical oncology research
      • One poster submitted, presentation cancelled due to covid
      • Multiple competitive university research fellowships
  • Clinical Experience:
    • 350hrs ER Scribing
    • 200hrs Crisis Textline
  • Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties:
    • 25hrs Urology
    • 20hrs Family Med
    • 20hrs Radiology
  • Non-clinical volunteering:
    • 150hrs teaching science at local low-income elementary school
    • 250hrs volunteer coaching youth soccer at local community center (became VP, President)
    • 100hrs teaching economics at local low-income middle school
  • Extracurricular activities:
    • Mental Health Chair for Fraternity
    • Ironman triathlon finisher, on cycling and rock climbing teams
    • Academic Tutor for SAT/ACT/high school
    • Day trading
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): Yes
  • Honors:
    • Selective half tuition merit scholarship
Questions I have:
-What are the weak spots in my application?
-Do I have much of a shot at UTSW/Dell/Mcgovern? I know that my GPAs are way out of range for UTMB and Baylor
-Would it be foolish of me to not apply to TCU/UNT and UH, and could/should I include some california schools too? What other OOS schools might be worth considering, assuming I should apply to schools outside of Texas? DO?

Thanks!
I'll let others come up with suggested lists. You should be okay with in-state programs, though I will have to trust others to give you better insight on how your metrics match up. You could try to apply to any non-Texas schools with whom you have networked extensively with students currently attending the program and admissions recruiters you have met before applying (including all DO schools). Your metrics are good enough for some MD programs and all DO programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll let others come up with suggested lists. You should be okay with in-state programs, though I will have to trust others to give you better insight on how your metrics match up. You could try to apply to any non-Texas schools with whom you have networked extensively with students currently attending the program and admissions recruiters you have met before applying (including all DO schools). Your metrics are good enough for some MD programs and all DO programs.
Thank you for the reply! In terms of networking, the correct avenue for that would be through linkedin and the med school's sponsored events, correct? My school doesn't have an AMSA chapter which I've seen people mention before as a way to get in touch with people affiliated with various medical schools.

Do you think I need to apply DO at all? I was hoping to avoid it if possible but if that's where my stats put me then I will definitely get on it.

You should apply to TCU-UNT and the new U Houston school.
Thank you for your reply Faha!
Do you think that applying DO/OOS is necessary for me (outside of TCOM)? Or should I be in a good position with just applying to the TMDSAS schools + TCU/UNT + UH?
As well, is there anywhere my application is currently lacking?

Your ECs are very good. You could add the new DO school Sam Houston State. You should receive several interviews from your Texas MD schools.

Thank you for the reply! In terms of networking, the correct avenue for that would be through linkedin and the med school's sponsored events, correct? My school doesn't have an AMSA chapter which I've seen people mention before as a way to get in touch with people affiliated with various medical schools.

Do you think I need to apply DO at all? I was hoping to avoid it if possible but if that's where my stats put me then I will definitely get on it.
The medical schools each should have an AMSA chapter, and there is the internet. LinkedIn isn't really the way I would network with students (I mean, you have SDN... come on; not every med student I know is on LinkedIn). Med school sponsored events including webinars and prospective applicant chats and virtual fairs are low-hanging fruit. There is always email. I can't do your homework for you.

Respect the process and that there is always a significant chance you won't get accepted. Your metrics are fine for MD but I would apply DO if I got no IIs by September, beginning with in-state/regional programs.