Need to decide fall schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdsweetie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering whether to take Biochem or Animal Physiology in the fall. I will be taking the MCAT in January 2010. Should I take biochem or animal physiology or take an "easier" schedule and just learn biochem & physio on my own from an MCAT study guide?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i took them both before i took the MCATs and I feel that the physiology course was much more helpful...it seems to me that there is a lot more info on the mcats that you can learn from a physiology class then from a biochem course

Definitely take the Animal Physiology class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate it. :) Does anyone else have input?

Depends on what "animal physiology" really means. If it is more of an anatomy-based class involving dissections, etc. then I would take the biochem class since it would probably be easier. The word "animal" in the title makes me question the applicability to the MCAT if you are going to be learning about the physiology/anatomy of a bunch of different animals. (I took a vertebrate anatomy course and it didn't help me at all).
I would recommend human physiology instead if you want to get the most out of it for the MCAT.
However if the animal physiology places emphasis on humans... by all means go for it

Is animal physiology primarily human physiology? I agree with the previous poster in recommending a course in human physiology; it makes studying for the bio section much easier in my opinion.

Is animal physiology primarily human physiology? I agree with the previous poster in recommending a course in human physiology; it makes studying for the bio section much easier in my opinion.

There is no human physiology course being offered. There is a human anatomy & physiology course but I heard from people that anatomy is not useful on the MCAT.

This is the description for the animal physiology class: "Introduces the principles of animal function. The major systems (digestion, metabolism, respiration, circulation, osmotic and ionic regulation, nerve-muscle function, endocrine control) are covered with emphasis on functional mechanisms at the cell and tissue levels."

Do you think this would be helpful?

Thanks

Depends on what "animal physiology" really means. If it is more of an anatomy-based class involving dissections, etc. then I would take the biochem class since it would probably be easier. The word "animal" in the title makes me question the applicability to the MCAT if you are going to be learning about the physiology/anatomy of a bunch of different animals. (I took a vertebrate anatomy course and it didn't help me at all).
I would recommend human physiology instead if you want to get the most out of it for the MCAT.
However if the animal physiology places emphasis on humans... by all means go for it

No, it is not an anatomy class.

There is no human physiology course being offered. There is a human anatomy & physiology course but I heard from people that anatomy is not useful on the MCAT.

This is the description for the animal physiology class: "Introduces the principles of animal function. The major systems (digestion, metabolism, respiration, circulation, osmotic and ionic regulation, nerve-muscle function, endocrine control) are covered with emphasis on functional mechanisms at the cell and tissue levels."

Thanks

Yes it is helpful.

This is the description of the Vertebrate Physiology course I am taking this fall.

BIOL 4401 (4-3-3) Vertebrate Physiology
Study of the basic functions of cells, tissues, and organ systems of vertebrates.

Thanks

That sounds good. The only problem is, there are lots of different types of animals and hence lots of extraneous info you won't need for the mcat. But it looks like the emphasis is micro enough that you will learn the basic stuff that is the same in everything like the sodium potassium pump.

It does sound easier than the human anat&phys course anyway. No you don't need to know anatomy for the MCAT but you don't need to know the physiology of birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fish either... so to me it would be a toss up, both have extra stuff. Anyway, I give you a thumbs up on the animal physio class, especially as opposed to the biochem class which was your original question anyway. :thumbup:

That sounds good. The only problem is, there are lots of different types of animals and hence lots of extraneous info you won't need for the mcat. But it looks like the emphasis is micro enough that you will learn the basic stuff that is the same in everything like the sodium potassium pump.

It does sound easier than the human anat&phys course anyway. No you don't need to know anatomy for the MCAT but you don't need to know the physiology of birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fish either... so to me it would be a toss up, both have extra stuff. Anyway, I give you a thumbs up on the animal physio class, especially as opposed to the biochem class which was your original question anyway. :thumbup:

Ok cool. Thanks a lot for your advice! Do you think I should email the prof and ask him if the course covers human physiology primarily?

Also I heard there is a lot of focus on molecular biology & genetics on the MCAT recently.

So I am also deciding between these 2 classes (perhaps instead of physiology?):

1) Principles of genetics

Course description:

Chemical structure of genetic material, Mendelism, gene recombination, and chromosome mapping. Mutation, gene expression and regulation, recombinant DNA

2) Molecular genetics

Course description:

Structure, organization, replication dynamics, and expression of genetic information in eukaryotes. Focus on molecular genetic mechanisms of gene expression and its control; molecular genetics methods; molecular genetic control of cell division and differentiation during development

Which of these classes do you think would be more helpful?

Thanks

Last edited:
Ok cool. Thanks a lot for your advice! Do you think I should email the prof and ask him if the course covers human physiology primarily?

I think that is a good idea :)

As for the genetics courses, the first one (Principles of Genetics) is all you really need to know for the MCAT. It's pretty basic stuff. But your intro bio class should have covered all you need to know about genetics anyway (I think).

the human anatomy and physiology course I took was hardly any anatomy, and mostly physiology. The 3 cr. lecture was all physiology, then there was an optional 1 cr. lab that was all anatomy

I think you should definitely take the first genetics class you listed.

Are you considering these classes solely for MCAT prep, or would you eventually take all of them? From what I've heard, there isn't really any biochem on the MCAT past what you would have learned in intro bio. Many med schools either require or strongly recommend biochem though, so I would go with that over animal physiology.

I took animal physiology, and I really liked it, but a lot of it seemed extraneous to medical study.

I know I'm bumping a 2 year old thread, but I need advice on a similar situation.
I can take genetics, bio chem, and physiology or I can take genetics, bio chem, philosophy, and Spanish 2.
This would be along with taking an MCAT prep course and working/volunteering ~20 hours per week. What do you guys think?

I know I'm bumping a 2 year old thread, but I need advice on a similar situation.
I can take genetics, bio chem, and physiology or I can take genetics, bio chem, philosophy, and Spanish 2.
This would be along with taking an MCAT prep course and working/volunteering ~20 hours per week. What do you guys think?

I've taken physiology and biochem and am currently taking genetics. I found the physiology the most helpful when I took the MCAT, but I have heard that some people get really genetic heavy passages. Spanish 2 and philosophy won't help you at all on the MCAT (except for maybe the verbal section...) So take the first option!!

Indeed, I vote you take the first option. Philosophy MIGHT help you on the writing section, but it is dubious. A&P will be much more helpful.