Need to fullfill math & science courses.....ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lambchop77

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my BS in Business with a 3.4 gpa. I have to go back and take care of the math & science courses that I missed. At first, I was planning to take as many as I could in order to get done quicker, i.e. 20 credit hours per quarter. After giving it more thought, I feel I'd be better to take only 15 per quarter and keep my gpa as high as possible, that way it will look better to med-schools when I go to apply later down the road. Am I right about this? I already plan on eating, sleeping, and breathing my schoolwork. I know I can say this because I've already graduated with a 4-year and have been working in several jobs for the past 2+ years(which I've hated), so I have a lot of motivation. I'll quit rambling now and see what you guys/gals think or have experienced with this.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep your GPA as high as possible. The post-bacc route (which is the route you are describing) takes some time. At least one year, but usually two, just because of the chemistry sequence (and you have to take labs too). Then it takes a year to apply. Keep in mind that you also have to prepare for the MCAT during that time. I did it in 2+ years which gave me time to volunteer and do some research, which are also VERY important. If you do a search for post-bacc or non-traditional applicants you should find this topic hashed out in detail.

Good Luck!!!

Wow! 15 or 20 units of science courses eh? Have you ever heard of gpa suicide? Well that's what you'd be committing. 15 or 20 units of liberal arts courses is a manageable courseload. 15 or 20 units of hard science courses is NOT. If I were you I'd look into a set post-bac program aimed at fulfilling all of the pre-med requirements. Several schools have them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto to Wednesday's comment on GPA.

You are probably starting to look into formal postbac programs and I'm sure there are some good ones out there (other SDN's have done them). You could also consider going it alone, which was what I did. Many fine public universities - and maybe some private ones, too - offer an "open campus" program, whereby for a small (um, I mean large) fee you can take just about any undergrad class. I didn't want to have to move somewhere expensive just to do my postbac classes so it worked out well.
Also, don't forget about summer school. Good luck!

I went the formal post-bac route. I took a leave of absence from my job and in 12 months took all science reqs and labs (pulled a 3.93) and took the April MCAT (27 O). It can be done. My only regret is not being able to focus 100% on the MCAT because I was trying to get my GPA as high as possible, otherwise the post-bac route worked great for me.

Thanks, everyone! I'll look into the post-bac program and see what it offers. I'm only 24, so if I have to take an extra year of classes in order to keep the GPA high, it's really no problem.

Also, I might look at what jobs and/or volunteer work I can get in a hospital in order to gain some experience.