1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

need urgent advice!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ddsshin, Jan 2, 2009.

1. ddsshin

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    hello,
    I am going to apply this May 15 and there is one class I have to repeat because I got a C-. I wish I could just skip it but dental schools said I need C or better so...
    I am going to retake is physics 3A ,and they offer in this winter quarter, and also during summer session.
    I am going to take DAT on March 30 so I am studying 6 hrs everyday.
    My question is if I retake 3A on summer session, my grade won't be available til like Aug 10th or something which is way past May 15. Does that mean my status will be on hold til the grades are available? Will dental schools look at my application after my grade is available? if so, wouldnt' be a little late??? Is it better to take this winter quarter?? I need advice ASAP!!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrEagleMike

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would retake the class during the winter quarter so that the grade is available with your application. You probably worry that it will take time away from your studying of the DAT. If that's the only class you'll be taking then I think you should have more than enough time to study and do well.

4. dmdforme

Dental Student
    i agree with dreaglemike. take it during the winter.

5. Concepcion10

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    winter for sure! There is alot of talk about applying early which means everything is complete and "ready" for schools to look at you right away. Submitting early does nothing for you until your file becomes complete with all grades and DAT scores! Good luck

6. dentbent

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Winter for sure, you want to be on the safer side.

7. Oralfixation

Oralfixation Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If you do not take it in the winter I would not even re-take it. They will not see your grade otherwise. It should help you with your analytical on the DAT. Good luck.

8. ddsshin

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    :mad:i think some schools accept C- and some don't. I just wanted to study DAT only during winter so I can get really good DAT since my GPA is around 3.4 and I want to go to UCLA really bad.

9. eternalxdemon

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Physics 3A sounds like the UCI physics class... :) who did you have? honestly tho you should just take 3A during the winter... but if u wait til summer session 1 physics IS easier during the summer... and plus only 5 weeks... :) and there's a chance guerra mite be teaching it again during the summer... n guerra is AWESOME!!!!! :) gl with the DAT's i think all of winterbreak and spring break to study for the DAT's should be good enough to get 20+ in all sections. :)

10. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    With gpas on the cusp, your main priority is to do well on the DAT. Even if your grade on the retake is an A, it is unlikely that it will significantly change your chances. The world will not end on August 11 if by chance your retake grade has not made it through the channels.

11. ddsshin

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    yea, It was Guerra from UCI and I didn't study well I guess and it was my first physics in my life....
    I contacted many dental school admission officers and they said even tho I have class in progress, they will review my application. So, I should be fine with taking during summer and study DAT ALL WINTER haha.

12. Jessi4eve

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Take it in winter, and postpone your DAT to a later date, if you think you won't have enought time to study. You can take the DAT as late as June, and still be very early in the cycle.