1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Need URGENT help

Discussion in 'Step I' started by rand0m3dstudent, Feb 24, 2007.

1. rand0m3dstudent

Medical Student
    Hi there.

I'm hoping someone could help me with this problem. I took NBME form 3 three weeks ago after reading only FA (this was right after school ended) and scored a 232/560. Since then, I've studied pretty hardcore, reading ALL the Goljan stuff twice (500, 100, and 36 page notes), did robbins review, CMMRS, and completed half of QBANK, getting ~75-80%. I knew no behavioral science or anatomy.

I then took NBME form 4, thinking I'd get at least 245+ but I ended up with a 228!

I actually did well on all the heavy cell bio stuff, but everything else went down. Is there something I'm not doing right? I only have 2 more weeks left so I'd really appreciate any responses. Thanks.

2. stretch210

stretch210 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

What I would do...granted I haven't taken it yet :) ...

Look carefully at the topics you struggled in on the NBME...review those topics.

Reread FA and do LOTS of practice questions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    OP
    rand0m3dstudent

Medical Student
    I did poorly in cardio/pulm and musculoskeletal/skin both times, but I've studied those topics a LOT in between and felt as if I know them pretty well, at least based on my results in robbins review. I also got asterisks (did really well) on over half of the 19 or 20 subsets on both NBME's. So with all that studying I just found it a shock to have regressed as I did.

4. superoxide

superoxide Member
    5+ Year Member

It might be that you are strong on the path of cardio/pulm, but not on the physio of cardio/pulm and maybe you were tested on the latter part?

I wouldn't be too worried about your NBME 4. Do Form 2 and see what your score is. It seems like performance on Forms 2 and 3 closely predict your actual Step 1 score. Good luck

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. OP
    OP
    rand0m3dstudent

Medical Student
    I thought physio was a separate part? I got an asterisk on that too, and the bar was the narrowest of them all. It's just some of the organ systems, as well as anatomy/behavioral, but I figured that goljan would take care of the former quite nicely... Anyway I guess I'll take a shot at form 2 and see how I do. Isn't it supposed to be a little easier than 3 and 4?

6. superoxide

superoxide Member
    5+ Year Member

I found Forms 2 and 3 to be of equal difficulty. Form 4 was definately the weirdest of them all.