need your advice RE: shadowing and ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruck

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have started shadowing a DO family physician in July (probably for the total of around 10 hours). He told me that he will write me a reference letter so I was wondering if it is worth including this in my ECs for the primary application? Would it be necessary since I'll be getting and LOR anyways? I personally prefer not to include it on my ECs since the list is already long and the hours of shadowing is pretty minimal. What would you suggest?

Members don't see this ad.

ruck said:
I have started shadowing a DO family physician in July (probably for the total of around 10 hours). He told me that he will write me a reference letter so I was wondering if it is worth including this in my ECs for the primary application? Would it be necessary since I'll be getting and LOR anyways? I personally prefer not to include it on my ECs since the list is already long and the hours of shadowing is pretty minimal. What would you suggest?

10 hours really isn't much, but I don't think it would hurt to list it. Plus, it will give you a chance to tell the adcoms how YOU felt about the experience, and how it exposed you to the osteopathic field blah...blah...blah.

...just my 2 cents

You could also continue to shadow the DO and update the schools with this activity when you rack up the hours.

(This is probably what I would do)