Need your advice!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabe97

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone!!:)
I just took DAT... but I am not sure if my scores are enough to get into dental schools....=( I am so scared because most of people here got above 23...... Need your advice!!!

PAT 22 (93.4%)
QR 20 (94.0%)
RC 16 (14.4%) -> really bad...
Bio 16 (34.8%) -> really bad...
GC 21 (87.0%)
OC 20 (79.9%)
TS 18 (63.0%)
AA 19 (77.6%)

*GPA (Inc +)
BCP 3.68
Non-Science 4.03
Science GPA 3.69
Total GPA 3.82

If I retake DAT, I can take it on mid-Oct. But, isn't it too late to take DAT? Do you guys recommend to retake DAT or should I just send this score to dental schools? Also, do dental schools consider GPA including + or without +? Oh!! and I already applied for this cycle!!=)

I really need your advice!!!!!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, everyone!!:)
I just took DAT... but I am not sure if my scores are enough to get into dental schools....=( I am so scared because most of people here got above 23...... Need your advice!!!

PAT 22 (93.4%)
QR 20 (94.0%)
RC 16 (14.4%) -> really bad...
Bio 16 (34.8%) -> really bad...
GC 21 (87.0%)
OC 20 (79.9%)
TS 18 (63.0%)
AA 19 (77.6%)

*GPA (Inc +)
BCP 3.68
Non-Science 4.03
Science GPA 3.69
Total GPA 3.82

If I retake DAT, I can take it on mid-Oct. But, isn't it too late to take DAT? Do you guys recommend to retake DAT or should I just send this score to dental schools? Also, do dental schools consider GPA including + or without +? Oh!! and I already applied for this cycle!!=)

I really need your advice!!!!!!:)

Ouch, retake it ASAP. 14 and 35th percentile is low. you should have at least 18's on all subjects to be in the runnings. I'd say send in your scores and let them know you are going to retake it in October. Unless you have a really good excuse on why you scored that low on those subjects, I don't see how the schools would grand you an interview. For AADSAS I believe they do count the +/- but for TMDSAS they do not.

Retake. Waiting till mid October will definitely put you at a huge disadvantage. You will then be competing for an interview in the spring, which is essentially for an alternate spot. Maybe put off applying this year and save the money. That's my 2 cents.

Ouch, retake it ASAP. 14 and 35th percentile is low. you should have at least 18's on all subjects to be in the runnings. I'd say send in your scores and let them know you are going to retake it in October. Unless you have a really good excuse on why you scored that low on those subjects, I don't see how the schools would grand you an interview. For AADSAS I believe they do count the +/- but for TMDSAS they do not.

I know my RC and BIO scores are low... but I figured out that they review the application only once. If they hold the application till Oct or Nov(actually if I send DAT score right after retaking, they will be able to review the application on Nov...i think..), I feel like I will have no chance to get into the dental schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
dont let these people discourage you...last cycle, 2 of my friends submitted their DATs and apps in october and november. One had a 13 in QR and 19TS and got in...just submit ure scores and apply...but retake your exams in october

Retake. Waiting till mid October will definitely put you at a huge disadvantage. You will then be competing for an interview in the spring, which is essentially for an alternate spot. Maybe put off applying this year and save the money. That's my 2 cents.

Thank you so much for you opinion!! Unfortunately, I already applied before I take DAT... it is my huge mistake....hyoo... since admission reveiws the application only once, I have to ask them to hold my application to reveiw if I retake DAT on Oct. I feel like it will be too late...I am trying to find a best way to get in. I also thought about waiting for interviews till Dec. If I dont get interviews from anywhere till Dec., I may retake DAT to apply for the next admission cycle... What do you think?

dont let these people discourage you...last cycle, 2 of my friends submitted their DATs and apps in october and november. One had a 13 in QR and 19TS and got in...just submit ure scores and apply...but retake your exams in october

Thank you so much for your encouragement!!!!!:)
Actually, they review the application only once. Should I ask them to hold my application for new DAT score? Or should I just retake DAT and ask them to reveiw again at that time?

Thank you so much for your encouragement!!!!!:)
Actually, they review the application only once. Should I ask them to hold my application for new DAT score? Or should I just retake DAT and ask them to reveiw again at that time?

ask them to hold your app, a 16bio, 16RC will block you out unless you graduated from a well respected school.

I say just stick with your score. You might just get lucky and they'll choose to only see your overall scores which aren't bad. However, I would think dental schools would prefer people with a high bio, RC, and ochem scores since this for the most part is what you do the first 2 years of dental school. Well Ochem more in a biochemistry aspect. But yeah if you retake the DAT it would put you way up in the selection process so you would need to do way better than before. From what I understand an 18-19 in june/july is better than a 20/21 in september/october.

Yep, hold the application. Bio section will definitely be a problem. I would also call and ask each shool if you could temporarily fax them your DAT scores you get at the prometric center simply because it takes them a little time for the school to get the scroes. In the mean time, if you are confident you can improve, get all your stuff in order. Submit your application, send the checks, complete those secondaries, and put a hold on the application. I think you might have a shot at some december interviews if you do well on the DAT in mid october. Good luck :luck:

For bio I would heavily recommend listening to MCAT audio osmosis. I probably learned (and retained which is by far more important) every important bio concept with jokes and puns. I also read through kaplan BB twice over and it got me a 21 in BIO. For reading comp I just winged it after doing 2 or 3 kaplan practice tests and luckily got a 20. Reading comp has never been my strength ever since the SAT but I was fortunate enough to get subjects I was familiar with from college. Make use of the break between science/pat and rc/math and go take a breather outside which is what I did. I was ready to go after my 15min break during the two halves.