Need Your Honest Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saimaa-85

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Seniors,

I am writing NBDE Part 2 in June, unless this is postponed further. As a result, prospects of applying for 2021 is dim. In that case, I would like to spend a year doing something that will make my application competitive for Advance Standing program - 2022.

What would be the best option!

I read some going for MPH. I understand that it would be necessary to have a student visa to get DA / Volunteering. My CGPA is 3.89.

I really need your guidance.

Many Thanks. Stay safe.

Saimaa-85

Members don't see this ad.

Visit the schools you’re interested in applying to and maybe do a two-three month externship. I know BU has one month observerships in general dentistry.

Visit the schools you’re interested in applying to and maybe do a two-three month externship. I know BU has one month observerships in general dentistry.
First of all a warm thank you for the response.
But I am looking for involvement for a year to give my application a boost. Do you advise any program of longer duration that would be a positive best?

Thanks,

Saimaa-85

Members don't see this ad :)
Being annoying is not the answer. It will be very difficult to get involved in schools, because they limit the number of people they admit into the campus
Get CE, which you can do from online classes now
Find a program at the school of your choice, whatever you are interested in and can afford in order for faculty to know your face and name

Being annoying is not the answer. It will be very difficult to get involved in schools, because they limit the number of people they admit into the campus
Get CE, which you can do from online classes now
Find a program at the school of your choice, whatever you are interested in and can afford in order for faculty to know your face and name
Oralcare123,

Thank you. i try finding answers myself but some of the answers can be known only when you right there at the University, at the Clinics, the Community Health Centres and so on...

What is your opinion on observership or preceptorship in an University!

Regards,

Saimaa-85

Oralcare123,

Thank you. i try finding answers myself but some of the answers can be known only when you right there at the University, at the Clinics, the Community Health Centres and so on...

What is your opinion on observership or preceptorship in an University!

Regards,

Saimaa-85
Whatever the cheapest and allows you to be remembered

Whatever the cheapest and allows you to be remembered
Can you suggest any University! Also if you can advise number of hours of Observership and Volunteering hours individually that should look be reasonable for DDS application. I understand that this could be somewhat subjective but it will help all of us.

Thanks.

Hi Saimaa-85,

I will also recommend doing observership in a dental school. It will give you a chance to introduce yourself and get connected to the faculty. You can also show your interest in any research opportunities in the school, which will be a plus to your application. Most of the time these opportunities are for dental students, but try contacting as many faculty as possible, you may find someone who may need help in the research lab.

Good luck!!

Hi Saimaa-85,

I will also recommend doing observership in a dental school. It will give you a chance to introduce yourself and get connected to the faculty. You can also show your interest in any research opportunities in the school, which will be a plus to your application. Most of the time these opportunities are for dental students, but try contacting as many faculty as possible, you may find someone who may need help in the research lab.

Good luck!!

Hi gdcpatiala,

Thank you so much. Really appreciate.

Saimaa-85

Volunteering should be consistent over a long period of time, like a few hour a week for a year not 100 hours for 1 month. In short - it shouldn't look like you are doing it for the application

Volunteering should be consistent over a long period of time, like a few hour a week for a year not 100 hours for 1 month. In short - it shouldn't look like you are doing it for the application
Thank you oralcare123. Very true. Will do my best.

Regards

Saimaa-85

Hi Saimaa-85,

Good luck!!
Hi Dentalhelper,

I have volunteering that are purely clinical (mostly dental camps in rural areas and schools) and others that include non-clinical such as visit to Day Care Centres for Special Need Children or Music Therapy for Special Need Children. My question is should I club both under Volunteering or keep the later part under Community Services!!

Hi Dentalhelper,

I have volunteering that are purely clinical (mostly dental camps in rural areas and schools) and others that include non-clinical such as visit to Day Care Centres for Special Need Children or Music Therapy for Special Need Children. My question is should I club both under Volunteering or keep the later part under Community Services!!

Hi Saimaa-85,

I think you can put your clinical camps as volunteering, especially if you have done them multiple times in a year. The non-clinical ones you can put in as community services. Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Hi Saimaa-85,

I think you can put your clinical camps as volunteering, especially if you have done them multiple times in a year. The non-clinical ones you can put in as community services. Hope this helps!

Good luck!
Hi Dentalhelper,

Many thanks. I guess that makes sense.

I have about 80 hours of Volunteering in 2 years and a 100 plus hours on Community Service. Do you think this might be adequate for a Advanced Standing Program or should I earn some more!

Hi Dentalhelper,

Many thanks. I guess that makes sense.

I have about 80 hours of Volunteering in 2 years and a 100 plus hours on Community Service. Do you think this might be adequate for a Advanced Standing Program or should I earn some more!
Yes, I think it should be good. However, continue doing something in the professional field until you get accepted. Good luck !!