Nov 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
So, I have completed my application, I have yet to send it in though because I haven't got all of my LORs and I take my OAT on Monday (6th). I was wondering what you all thought my chances may be given that I have all of my pre-reqs done and a 3.4 over all gpa and 3.3 sgpa. I know it is getting late in the application process. Is it worth it to apply this late to only a few schools? or should I broaden my application to increase my over all chances? Or should I wait until next year to apply? ( I plan to send in my application ON monday after completing the OAT or asap after it)

- I would love some feed back, I know you can't give a total opinion/review given I haven't taken the OAT yet.

Thanks in advance, and congrats to all of those already accepted etc.!

Aug 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
So, I have completed my application, I have yet to send it in though because I haven't got all of my LORs and I take my OAT on Monday (6th). I was wondering what you all thought my chances may be given that I have all of my pre-reqs done and a 3.4 over all gpa and 3.3 sgpa. I know it is getting late in the application process. Is it worth it to apply this late to only a few schools? or should I broaden my application to increase my over all chances? Or should I wait until next year to apply? ( I plan to send in my application ON monday after completing the OAT or asap after it)

- I would love some feed back, I know you can't give a total opinion/review given I haven't taken the OAT yet.

Thanks in advance, and congrats to all of those already accepted etc.!
I would say the sooner the better, you can submit the application pending your scores and LORs. It depends on what you mean by a few schools, like 2-3? And it really depends on those schools, because if for example SUNY is one of the schools you want to apply for then I would apply for a few more since SUNY's class size is pretty small, and as far as what I've read throughout the forum it seems that by this time many of their seats are already given. However, if you were to apply to schools like PCO or NOVA where the class size is larger you should be fine. Your GPA looks good so far. If I was in your position and seeing as it is not early in the application process, i would apply to a few more, but then again it really depends on how many schools you were initially deciding to apply to and which ones.

gable1011

5+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2010
Status
Dental Student
And it really depends on those schools, because if for example SUNY is one of the schools you want to apply for then I would apply for a few more since SUNY's class size is pretty small, and as far as what I've read throughout the forum it seems that by this time many of their seats are already given. However, if you were to apply to schools like PCO or NOVA where the class size is larger you should be fine.
So you are saying you think Suny is filled almost? Do you know of any other schools that most of their seats are about filled?

Thanks! in advance

Aug 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
So you are saying you think Suny is filled almost? Do you know of any other schools that most of their seats are about filled?

Thanks! in advance
I don't know the specifics in how many students are currently given acceptance, but I can say that in general SUNY's class size is small, so they would offer acceptance to fewer amount of students and since it is not early in application process, it would be wise to apply to a few more schools if you are considering in submitting the OPTOMCAS application now. I don't know how many students are usually offered acceptance during this time of the year of the application cycle, but I think Berkeley would be another one of the schools where it would be up there in having already offered many seats, since I think their deadline for Optomcas is in a few days. But I think one thing that you can look at that might help you, is a the statistics doc some have posted the link to, that records how many students applied, accepted and enrolled in the Optometry schools in the past years.

Jan 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
I read somewhere that for SCCO applying in November is not considered early, but it also is not considered late.

As far as Berkeley, their deadline to submit OptomCAS is tomorrow (Dec. 1) but they do not have rolling admissions. So it doesn't matter if you apply there at this time. They have not filled any seats because they do not start doing interviews until Jan or Feb.

OP
E
Nov 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
OAT went well for the most part, 320AA and 330TS, I sent my app to PCO, NOVA, NECO, UISO, ICO, and Western.... do you think my chances are alright given the 3.4 and 3.3... or should I apply to more schools? Or wait to hear back from any of these ones first?

Aug 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
OAT went well for the most part, 320AA and 330TS, I sent my app to PCO, NOVA, NECO, UISO, ICO, and Western.... do you think my chances are alright given the 3.4 and 3.3... or should I apply to more schools? Or wait to hear back from any of these ones first?
From the list of schools you applied to I think you are good. ICO, PCO, NOVA and NECO have good class sizes, and your scores are good. I would say don't worry and just wait to hear from the schools. Good Luck!!!

gable1011

5+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Just wanted to nudge this topic, I'm in a similar situation with similar stats, and would love some more feed back regarding chances about getting in, with applying late.:D