Needing advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaulP540

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long-story-short, I did a post-bacc and ended up with a 3.5. Got accepted to an SMP with a linkage but did terrible the first fall semester as my father was diagnosed with cancer in September (had to help my mom deal with her depression with my dad in his current state) and lost him at the beginning of this year. I had a turnaround and received a 3.4 in the spring and I plan on getting a 4.0 this fall. I will most likely end up with a 3.12 GPA in the SMP. I also scored a 506 on my Mcat. Do you think I still have a chance? All input is welcomed. Many thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that OP. I would say your MCAT is pretty good for most DO but I'll let someone more informed comment on how your grades will be interpreted

Long-story-short, I did a post-bacc and ended up with a 3.5. Got accepted to an SMP with a linkage but did terrible the first fall semester as my father was diagnosed with cancer in September (had to help my mom deal with her depression with my dad in his current state) and lost him at the beginning of this year. I had a turnaround and received a 3.4 in the spring and I plan on getting a 4.0 this fall. I will most likely end up with a 3.12 GPA in the SMP. I also scored a 506 on my Mcat. Do you think I still have a chance? All input is welcomed. Many thanks.
Very sorry to hear about this.

Why didn't you take a LOA?

If you ace the fall semester, then yes, you still have a decent chance. But I do mean ace.

Also, get some SMP Faculty to write LORs on your behalf explaining your family situations

But is this a two year program? 1.5 years?? I don't see how you can have a 3.12 final GPA after a 3.4 and a ~4.0.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Very sorry to hear about this.

Why didn't you take a LOA?

If you ace the fall semester, then yes, you still have a decent chance. But I do mean ace.

Also, get some SMP Faculty to write LORs on your behalf explaining your family situations

But is this a two year program? 1.5 years?? I don't see how you can have a 3.12 final GPA after a 3.4 and a ~4.0.
My father insisted that I should not worry and that I should not take a LOA as I was considering it. Seeing how no normal human would take a condition such as his lightly I still came home on a regular basis to make sure he was doing okay. Once his condition worsened around the end of last year is when my grades faltered the most. I took a W, 2 C's, and an F. I had to withdraw from one of the classes (due to the labs I couldn't attend) as I chose to stay at the hospital some days as my mother needed to go home to recoup from not getting proper rest as she was staying at the hospital since my dad was admitted. I plan on retaking all the classes I was initially signed up for in the fall and ace every single one to make up for the poor performance. The program that I currently am in is a 1-program. Also, I want to thank you for sparing some of your time for responding to my concerns.

Last edited:
Apply broadly. You'll get in. Crush that PS in your app.

Good luck.

Please accept my condolences on your father. I know it must be tough. I had a similar story in loosing a sibling before applying to medical school. My grades were decent. That said, I remember how I used it in my story but didnt overpower it. At the interview I spoke about my sibling, and the conversation got to a point where it became emotional where one of the admissions staff teared up. I personally didnt because yeh I came with purpose. But my point is, your father is not in their physical form, but now you get to keep him alive through your efforts. Your story is going to be much more than a GPA and MCAT. You have the capability it seems and while I know if you spent another year fixing it, I am sure you can get in with your current stats and background story.

Please PM if you wish to talk and I can help you with your PS. Good luck.