Needing Experience and Knowledge for Internet Training...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigEvilRx

Owner, StudyRx.Org.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Day All,

It has been quite a while since I have visited this forum. I have read quite a lot of advice over time and mainly lurked in the background. In the past year, I became certified and have become obsessed with teaching myself pharmacy related information. So I designed a few interactive modules to help others learn, relearn, or solidify material needed to understand our field. I feel that offering these activities online would not only help in my studying but others as well. There certainly does not seem to be a great deal of free training in regards to the basics. So please feel free to check out the programs available at my website, http://www.studyrx.org

Now, my main objective is for a program like four point or visual verify. Basically, someone checking my work. I am pretty confident that the material presently available is correct but I wouldn't mind someone mentioning if they do see something that is wrong. There really isn't a lot of hits because I recently went online, and that is why I prefer to fix the errors early on. Asking on a related forum seemed like the ideal way to find individuals who understand the material and can spot mistakes at a glance.

At the end of this month, I will be debuting a system that allows users to create custom patients (including all general information, known medical conditions, known drug allergies plus fill history), along with custom doctors (including all general information). The basic idea is to create from these prefilled profiles, prescriptions that test the visitor/user/member's knowledge with questions attached to each prescription.

As an example, a user creates a prescription for Accutane given to a patient who was prescribed (by a different doctor), Prenatal Vitamins 2 days prior. Now, hopefully, from prior knowledge we know that Accutane requires a pregnancy test. This would probably be unlikely in a real world scenario (let me know if I'm wrong) but it would leave it open to teach the user viewing the specific prescription to answer the attached question (there can be multiple questions) that asks "What is the problem when viewing the prescription?" and the answer would be "Accutane is a Prescription Drug with a Black Box Warning so the Prenatal Vitamins is a clue to call the doctor.

It doesn't make sense to those who know because of the laws governing these drugs and what doctor's have to do. However, hopefully it will help teach people about the drug and what to look out for. I don't want to set a time frame in stone, but it looks like this will go BETA by the end of the month. I just need to recruit some individuals who would be willing to help create a few prescriptions that will build up the supply of prescriptions available to visitors. I plan on developing 20-30 profiles of each (doctor and patient) before it is available to the public, but think help from users to develop realistic prescriptions would be best done by a group of individuals rather than one person. All material will be able to be created by visitors but would have to be published by an admin so that spam is controlled.

I hope this seems interesting or at least, understandable. The coolest feature is attached prescriptions. For example, if you create a patient profile and attach medical conditions and allergies to that person, then it will appear whenever you apply that person to a prescription. Consequently, if you create a prescription for a patient who already has a prescription or prescriptions under them, they will automatically show up in the fill history when viewing that prescription. However, if you view the older prescription, the ones published later will not appear when viewing that prescription.

Anyways, I think I have typed for too long. I may have lost a lot of people towards the end. Please visit the website and let me know your opinions. For the available modules, items can be added and levels can be built if you have any ideas for some. I have been building them for the past week, and still in the process of creating so please be patient.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Steven

Members don't see this ad.

Any thoughts or opinions? My original post may have been too long but I was hoping someone would check it out and let me know if they think this would be helpful to them or not.

So to keep from just bumping my post, I will explain each game posted so far.

"The Drug Name Game"

The title explains it all pretty much. You are given the generic name of a drug, and four options to choose from. Selecting the correct option will light it up green and advance to another randomly chosen generic drug with four more random options. Currently, there is one level called "Top 200 Drugs." It has all according to rxlist.com and can be pretty addictive.

"SIG Code Challenge"

This was the original concept, and the other games followed suit. So far it has 5 levels of only one sig code per challenge. Similar to "The Drug Name Game" except in later levels (6 and on) I will add in combined SIG Codes for advancing to understanding 3 and beyond regularly seen like 1-2q4-6hprnpa.

"Medical Terminology"

This is much like "SIG Code Challenge" in that you are given pieces of words now, and in later levels you will be given combined prefixes, combining forms, and suffixes to not only memorize certain disease names and medical procedures but also to solidify your root word knowledge.

Anyways, really looking forward to feedback. If you can take a few moments to check it out and let me know what you think, I would appreciate it.

Steven

Hey, I really like your website! I bookmarked it for future reference. It seems things are still in the works (beta) but I think it looks really nice so far. I'm not a tech or a pharmacy student so I can't really participate in it, or give you suggestions as to what else might be useful but what you have up so far is great! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. Thanks. :)

Yeah, I have been meaning to remove the beta images. I will probably do that tonight. They are ready to go and all you have to do is click on the image to proceed.

I'm not a tech or a pharmacy student so I can't really participate in it, or give you suggestions as to what else might be useful but what you have up so far is great! :)

Actually, I don't know what your major is or direction but I would assume the medical terminology would help anyone who attended this forum. Also, I think a general knowledge of drug names couldn't hurt anybody in the medical field. :D What field are you planning on going into?

Thanks for checking it out. I really do appreciate you taking the time to give it a glance and hope it is useful to you somehow in the future.

Steven

I like your website. I think it will be a helpful website for all pharmacy students. I hope you add more features.

Nice, very easy to use and fun to play. (It would be nice to have an optional scoring system to keep track of how many I got right/wrong.) I know it takes a lot of time to do the coding---awesome work!

I like your website. I think it will be a helpful website for all pharmacy students. I hope you add more features.

Thanks. Adding features is an on-going thing. Even you can add items to already created levels in the games now present. I will be adding quite a lot over the summer but my classes now need my full attention.

Nice, very easy to use and fun to play. (It would be nice to have an optional scoring system to keep track of how many I got right/wrong.) I know it takes a lot of time to do the coding---awesome work!

Thanks. This seems like something that would be very easy to do. I will look into it.

Hi. Thanks. :)

Yeah, I have been meaning to remove the beta images. I will probably do that tonight. They are ready to go and all you have to do is click on the image to proceed.

Actually, I don't know what your major is or direction but I would assume the medical terminology would help anyone who attended this forum. Also, I think a general knowledge of drug names couldn't hurt anybody in the medical field. :D What field are you planning on going into?

Thanks for checking it out. I really do appreciate you taking the time to give it a glance and hope it is useful to you somehow in the future.

Steven
Hmm, well I hope to get into my state pharmacy school when I apply for a decision this fall :p So that's why I bookmarked your website, because I knew it'd be a great tool to know all the drugs, pharm abbreviations, and calculations and I could study it the summer before pharmacy school if I get in! I actually was pre-health in general, having an interest in a lot of things, and my parents are physicians and they wanted me to go that way, but I like pharmacy better so I hope that works out. Your website could really become quite popular as word spreads around and you finalize the other features. I did check out the medical terminology area and at first I thought it wasn't working because it just kept giving me new ones but I realized it does that when you get it right, lol, so I do agree with the poster who suggested a type of scoring, that might be nice as well :)

Hey awesome website!!! One suggestion though, the Drug Name Game should indicate the usage of the drug when u correctly match them. This will help inculcate their function in our subconsciousness!

One more thing is, if the medication is a controlled substance, can you also indicate if it's CI, CII, CIII, etc.

Oh also, because a compound can have many isomers and shapes, the results can have same or different effects in the body. See the chart below, and notice how their generic names are similar. (Source: theangriestpharmacist.com) My point is that if you can somehow alert us the possible existing isomers when taking your test, you're doing us a great favor in preparing us for pharmacy school! For Example: On the test when u're matching Citalopram to Celexa, you would have its function stated at the bottom. And then tell us that Escitalopram (Lexapro) is the S-enantiomer of the racemic derivative citalopram.

Venlafaxine (Effexor) ====> Desvenlafaxine (Pristiq)
Loratadine (Claritin) ====> Desloratadine (Clarinex)
Cetirizine (Zyrtec) ====> Levocetirizine (Xyzal)
Omeprazole (Prilosec) ====> Esomeprazole (Nexium)
Methylphenidate (Ritalin, et al) ====> Dexmethylphenidate (Focalin)
Dexchlorpheniramine, Dexbrompheniramine = Chlorpheniramine, Brompheniramine
Albuterol (Proair, Ventolin, Proventil) = Levalbuterol (Xopenex)
Imipramine (Tofranil) = Desipramine (Norpramin)
Nortriptyline (Pamelor) = Protriptyline (Vivactil)
Citalopram (Celexa) ====> Escitalopram (Lexapro)

Sorry for a long ass post. But u want suggestions, and there it is. =]

Last edited:
I did check out the medical terminology area and at first I thought it wasn't working because it just kept giving me new ones but I realized it does that when you get it right, lol, so I do agree with the poster who suggested a type of scoring, that might be nice as well :)

What browser are you currently using? Whenever the correct answer is selected, it should light up Green for a few seconds and then a new item will pop up with new random options to choose from. If you select the wrong answer, it will light up Red and all will stay the same.

The scoring system will be implemented because I think it is a great idea. However, with the big component being rushed out is top priority. I will consider the workflow for this when free time is available. :)

...One suggestion though, the Drug Name Game should indicate the usage of the drug when u correctly match them. This will help inculcate their function in our subconsciousness!

One more thing is, if the medication is a controlled substance, can you also indicate if it's CI, CII, CIII, etc.

Oh also, because a compound can have many isomers and shapes, the results can have same or different effects in the body. See the chart below, and notice how their generic names are similar. (Source: theangriestpharmacist.com) My point is that if you can somehow alert us the possible existing isomers when taking your test, you're doing us a great favor in preparing us for pharmacy school! For Example: On the test when u're matching Citalopram to Celexa, you would have its function stated at the bottom. And then tell us that Escitalopram (Lexapro) is the S-enantiomer of the racemic derivative citalopram.

Venlafaxine (Effexor) ====> Desvenlafaxine (Pristiq)
Loratadine (Claritin) ====> Desloratadine (Clarinex)
Cetirizine (Zyrtec) ====> Levocetirizine (Xyzal)
Omeprazole (Prilosec) ====> Esomeprazole (Nexium)
Methylphenidate (Ritalin, et al) ====> Dexmethylphenidate (Focalin)
Dexchlorpheniramine, Dexbrompheniramine = Chlorpheniramine, Brompheniramine
Albuterol (Proair, Ventolin, Proventil) = Levalbuterol (Xopenex)
Imipramine (Tofranil) = Desipramine (Norpramin)
Nortriptyline (Pamelor) = Protriptyline (Vivactil)
Citalopram (Celexa) ====> Escitalopram (Lexapro)

Don't worry about the length, I appreciate it. :D

These are all good ideas. This I should mention, though. Levels can be added to each game and new items can be added by users such as yourself. I would think it overload to receive all that information but it is a real good idea. Perhaps we can setup a level to build up to apply all that information. So when they are well aware of the drug names, they then can advance to another level where all this information is present. I will be working on an image-based game (OTC) this weekend and will post as soon as possible, so look for that.

Also, that last part is way over my head. It sounds good, but I have yet to reach that knowledge set. I understand your correlation between certain drugs at the bottom but will have to read up on this:
For Example: On the test when u're matching Citalopram to Celexa, you would have its function stated at the bottom. And then tell us that Escitalopram (Lexapro) is the S-enantiomer of the racemic derivative citalopram.

All of these suggestions can be implemented. Thanks. :)

Here is the demo for "Down with OTC".

It only shows the gameplay of the actual game. Where the images are of the #1-6, will be images of drug boxes. The idea is to select the appropriate box according to the description above.

I am hoping to have it online sometime tomorrow.

Demo Version Link

Steven

:idea:
If more than one player is playing at the time, can we play this in a multiplayer mode? Competition maybe?

And if u want to increase the level, u should have player type in the generic name of the brand instead of having multiple choices. I would say having the player inputting the name is way way way harder than what's given in the choices. So many ideas but yet i'm afraid u wont' be able to catch up

:idea:
If more than one player is playing at the time, can we play this in a multiplayer mode? Competition maybe?

And if u want to increase the level, u should have player type in the generic name of the brand instead of having multiple choices. I would say having the player inputting the name is way way way harder than what's given in the choices. So many ideas but yet i'm afraid u wont' be able to catch up
That sounds really good too but seems complicated to code lol. Don't worry, it's working for me and lights up green, I use firefox 3.5 and it lights up and everything. I'm just slow I guess and didn't realize that the lighting up green = correct, I thought that it just did that when you chose any answer lol so nvm abt that.

Hey BigEvil! Long time no speak.

Whatever happened to your blog?

Hey Man. :)

It is still there. I just had to face up to the fact that I am not a blogger. You and the Angry's do a way better job than I could. I am going to redirect that url to the new site soon.

Congratulations on getting into Pharmacy School! I was accepted to complete my undergrad at UNC-CH and only have 5 prereqs to do before I am eligible (OChem 1 and 2, Microbio, and Physic 1 and 2).

I'll just stick with offering ways to be interactively engaged and learning that way.

P.S. You blog is still badass. Loving the regular updates.

Steven

Hey Man. :)

It is still there. I just had to face up to the fact that I am not a blogger. You and the Angry's do a way better job than I could. I am going to redirect that url to the new site soon.

Congratulations on getting into Pharmacy School! I was accepted to complete my undergrad at UNC-CH and only have 5 prereqs to do before I am eligible (OChem 1 and 2, Microbio, and Physic 1 and 2).

I'll just stick with offering ways to be interactively engaged and learning that way.

P.S. You blog is still badass. Loving the regular updates.

Steven

I thought the first couple versions of your flash cards were brilliant when you first put them up. You have a knack for creating things like that.

Lemme know when you get the formal URL switched and I'll give you a shout out. It'll be incredibly helpful for people getting into the field.

I thought the first couple versions of your flash cards were brilliant when you first put them up. You have a knack for creating things like that.

Lemme know when you get the formal URL switched and I'll give you a shout out. It'll be incredibly helpful for people getting into the field.

Thanks. I should have that sorted out in a few hours. All is redirected to StudyRx.Org, but bigevilrx.com is still visible when navigating through the website. Shouldn't take too long to fix.

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it.

Thanks. I should have that sorted out in a few hours. All is redirected to StudyRx.Org, but bigevilrx.com is still visible when navigating through the website. Shouldn't take too long to fix.

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it.

Alrighty, shoot me a PM here or just email me when it's all set

It took me all of yesterday and this morning to add to the OTC Game. So here are the statistics so far. You are given the uses and active ingredients of a drug. Below this are six graphical choices (150 x 150) of each box you would see on the shelf.

Currently, there are 53 OTC Drugs to go through. I need to work on some Statistics and Chemistry so I'll take a break for now. Stop by and check out the additions. You can access it through the link below:

To view this and other games and activities:

http://www.studyrx.org

Have a good rest of the weekend.

Steven