Needing general MD/PhD advice - building CV, assessing competitiveness, building a school list, time to apply, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilkyMarble

Reaction score
Hello all,
I was referred here by parents of students on CollegeConfidential for questions about MD/PhD programs and was told people here could help me.
I’m beginning to learn all about applying to MD/PhD programs as a rising senior in undergrad, but am unsure if there are good resources to get information about the specifics of a program. Do you have tips on things to look for in the programs you're interested in, aside from having enough labs that you're interested in? Should I consider how stipends are allotted, location, etc.?
And, if I need, how to look for research positions post undergrad, to secure a spot with a lab for at least 2 years (so I am told - if anyone has opposing views, please tell me more)? Do I need to apply for a fellowship or something in order to get funding to do this, or can I just apply? What jobs am I eligible for immediately out of undergrad with a Chemistry/biochemistry bachelor's?

I'm also told going straight through is impossible. I have recently been told by others that this is not entirely the case (they have stated that my amount of hours are the general ballpark of admitted applicants), but due to a lack of competing information, I went with this perspective, so now I've positioned myself due to MCAT scheduling such that the earliest I could apply would be in senior year, which would give me one year before I go to the graduate program.
However, how much undergrad experience in research can I really get and actually expect to go straight through? I've been doing everything I can to acquire as much experience as possible, and am unsure of how to maximize my time any more than I am. I am told research is the primary focus, so I've filled my schedule to the brim with it, instead of clinical shadowing/clinical experience, which I'm told isn't valued as highly for these programs as lab experience is. Over the past two summers I've secured a total of three internships - two of which were full time, in person, 40 h/week 10-week research experiences, and one of which I've been working with for the past two summers at the same time, remote dry work, 20-30h/week also for 10 weeks and even having work spilling into the academic year. Also, as a chemistry major/biochemistry concentrator at Haverford, I’m also going to have 2 years worth of additional research experience via coursework (Senior thesis and junior superlab) under my belt. Though, a pre-med counselor said this was not unique, so I’m wondering if it really matters.
Adding this all up, if this even matters:
SOPHOMORE SUMMER:
Internship 1: 40 h/week x 10 weeks (WET LAB WORK) = 400 h
Internship 2: 30 h/week x 10 weeks (DRY LAB WORK) = 300 h
JUNIOR SUMMER (present):
Internship 3: 40 h/week x 10 weeks (WET LAB WORK) = 400 h
Internship 2: 20 h/week x 10 weeks (DRY LAB WORK) = 200 h
And, if you count my school's thesis work and superlab experiences, both of which I'm told are meant to be put on CVs as research experience:
Superlab (completed): 8h/week x ~28 weeks = 224 h
Thesis (future): Anticipated 10-20 h/week x 28 weeks = 280-560 h

That totals to 1804-2084 hours worth of research, of which 1304-1584 hours are bench work. (If this is...how you add up the hours and it isn't more complicated...)
By the start of senior year, I will have presented 3 posters, if that makes any difference.
Internship 2 is an internship I've secured with an online network of physicians and dietitians that offers nutrition education to physicians who pay for their courses. I design some of the coursework items by developing clinical toolboxes summarizing literature on nutritional interventions. I have also been a contributor to a nutrition textbook that has just been released. I've been working with them since June 2022 and will continue working with them.
The other internships/experiences are pure bench work on different projects and I can expand on details if necessary.
I also have additional experiences concerning work as lab teaching assistants/lecture TAs, but I didn't think that was as important. Some stuff I did in high school, but it probably doesn't matter now either.
Even after all this work, I'm still being told to take 2 years "off" from school to acquire a full-time research position at one lab. I am willing to do so if it's what admissions officers are wanting to see, but for me personally, I am absolutely gung-ho on the MD/PhD route and can expand on my reasons if needed in a following post.
Is there anything else I should be doing approaching senior year of undergrad that I'm not already? Some part time clinical position?
GPA 3.95, MCAT not taken yet, but if advised, I will take it at the soonest available notice, as I have already been studying, but put it briefly on hiatus due to advice to wait until 1 year out from college to take it and apply.
I have not developed an official personal statement, but again, I can give reasons as to why I'm insistent on this route rather than either degree alone.
I have not developed a comprehensive school list because I am unsure how to categorize "safety" and "fringe" schools - I don't yet know what I can achieve or not. I am open to almost anywhere in the country, or roughly any program, so long as I get a stipend of some kind, I guess. (Obviously in my foremost consideration is the nutritional science programs available and the amount of faculty I would be interested in working with)
I can attach any relevant information if needed - transcripts, CV, etc.
Any thoughts?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You’ll want to obtain a committee letter from Haverford pre-health advising so I would recommend going through their process. Without more info regarding your clinical experience, leadership, non clinical volunteering, and MCAT score, it’s difficult to recommend potential schools. Recommend purchasing MSAR as a starting point.

You’ll want to obtain a committee letter from Haverford pre-health advising so I would recommend going through their process. Without more info regarding your clinical experience, leadership, non clinical volunteering, and MCAT score, it’s difficult to recommend potential schools. Recommend purchasing MSAR as a starting point.
I have purchased this, but I was told this wasn't reflective of MD/PhD statistics per the pre-health advising committee, and more digging would be needed, which I'm trying to do.
I've also been investing all of my time in acquiring research experience, as I was also told by the same pre-health advising committee that clinical experience pales in comparison to research experience in MD/PhD applications. As a result, I don't have any clinical/volunteer experience. Have I messed myself over?
Could we entertain a hypothetical scenario? Say I get an MCAT score 520 or greater - where would that place me? What about 518+? Should I take it ASAP? I was told to wait until the year I apply so the score doesn't "expire". I'm just trying to figure out the year in which I even will apply, because I don't know if I have everything I need yet...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You are on track... One big myth is that you MUST do a post-bac. You are fortunate on having most of the needed experiences, and attended a respected college. Unfortunately, for most MSTPs, the MCAT is a hurdle that you must jump with different programs having a different minimum. As I have said previously, most of the advice from pre-health advisors for MD/PhD programs is moderately incorrect.
I strongly suggest:
a) Attend the NIH GP Fair in-person or hybrid - message thread
b) Examine my average advice for developing school lists:
  • MSTP list from NIH - link - currently T32 funded programs
  • AAMC tables B-12 & B-8 - link - make ratios of matriculants/applicants, using excel examine class and program size
  • NIH Reporter - link - examine funding by city, once they appear, you can bracket by institutions (some are MSTP affiliates), you can use NIH institute also to identify researchers of interest
  • Blue Ridge NIH funding lists - link examine your area of research interest
  • Examine the MD/PhD program websites
If you need, PM me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Clinihcaj
I have purchased this, but I was told this wasn't reflective of MD/PhD statistics per the pre-health advising committee, and more digging would be needed, which I'm trying to do.
I've also been investing all of my time in acquiring research experience, as I was also told by the same pre-health advising committee that clinical experience pales in comparison to research experience in MD/PhD applications. As a result, I don't have any clinical/volunteer experience. Have I messed myself over?
Could we entertain a hypothetical scenario? Say I get an MCAT score 520 or greater - where would that place me? What about 518+? Should I take it ASAP? I was told to wait until the year I apply so the score doesn't "expire". I'm just trying to figure out the year in which I even will apply, because I don't know if I have everything I need yet...
Clinical experience may pale in comparison but you’re still applying to Medical School. Admissions committees need to be convinced that you understand what medicine is all about and that you have clinical experiences you can reflect on.
You should take the MCAT when your practice scores are consistent with your goal score.

Reactions: 1 users
Clinihcaj

Clinical experience may pale in comparison but you’re still applying to Medical School. Admissions committees need to be convinced that you understand what medicine is all about and that you have clinical experiences you can reflect on.
You should take the MCAT when your practice scores are consistent with your goal score.
Duly noted! I'll see about securing a volunteer/part time position in medical work up here during my senior year - maybe at CHOP or elsewhere since pre-med students at Haverford are always doing a lot.