needing help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

equinegirl87

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi,
I have always loved animals and i began college in 2005. I was really unsure what i wanted to major in. I really love horses and wanted to major in equine but i dont live near any colleges that offer that major. I am thinking about becoming a vet tech but here are my problems.

My mom died last year and my life has totally turned upside down. I can not afford to go back to school and where i live doesnt offer vet tech as a major but they have a vet clinic right on campus which is weird. I am currently working at a stable and it is paying the bills. I am 21 and i feel like my life is passing by because i dont have a career yet. I am worrying how can i get a job as a vet assistant??? All the jobs i have had are stable hands.

I was thinking about becoming a nurse but after having a panic attack in a hospital. I cant stand looking at human body fluids but on animals i am totally fine.

How would i be able to get a job as a vet assistant if i dont have any training??

Another problem is i will be moving in the next 6 months out of state due to many reasons. I am worried if i get a job in a vet office then i will move. thanks
 
Veterinary assistants don't require any specialized training. Veterinary technicians/technologists, unless they were grandfathered in, generally require at least a 2 year associates degree in Veterinary technology. If I were you, I'd look around for some clinics that do large animal work. You're experience as a stable hand would give you a leg up against people who have little or no experience with horses.

BTW, you do realize that this pre-veterinary forum is for people aspiring to become veterinarians, right? Checkout VSPN.org for a community for veterinary assistants and technicians.
 
thanks for the advice. The only reason i found this site was typing how to become a vet tech on google. It gave me a posting for how to become a vet tech on here. thanks again