needing reassurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crafty14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I've been lurking for a while but finally decided to post. I'm hoping for some reassurance (or maybe what I need is a reality check). I'm scheduled to take the MCAT for the 1st time on 8/5. Realistically aiming for low to mid 30's. I've been using a mix of Kaplan FLs and AAMCs with an upward trend that had mostly been 30-32ish...until today. I took AAMC #4 and got an 8/9/8 = 25 :eek:. I did feel like I was having an "off day" and was pretty unfocused, but is this a really bad sign since I'm less than 3 weeks out? I have done higher # AAMCs and gotten 30+, but I'm still feeling quite discouraged.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't feel discouraged the higher AAMCs are actually much closer to the actual MCAT so its good you did well on those. Getting a bad score on one shouldn't let it shatter your confidence. :thumbup:

This response is coming from a person that is 2 days away from getting an MCAT score. With this said, my experience with practice MCATs is very similar to any other activity. If you're playing in the Superbowl today...whether your focused/not focused, will have a significant impact on your performance. Even Kobe has bad games. I don't watch sports so forgive the poor sport analogies. Anyways, I had a very similar experience to you and I can tell you this....waiting for your score is 100x more difficult than what you're feeling now. Maybe try taking a break. Go ride your bike, enjoy the weather, read a book, play video games, and forget about the MCAT for a short while. Then come back to realistically evaluate why you got that score. In retrospect, my best MCAT advice is to take breaks.

The truth is that your score is probably a combination of many different things.

1. Gap in knowledge.
2. Tired after studying 2+ months
3. Misinterpretation of questions
4. etc

I'm sure you've just hit the wall! How frequently do you take exams? Maybe you aren't giving your poor brain enough of a break. Take it in stride and learn what you can from AAMC #4. Before you take your next full-length, be sure to get plenty of rest. Don't let your confidence be shattered by one stupid test.

*hug* You will do great, don't feel discouraged!