Negative aspect about pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misspharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I am going to have an interview for western. Can someone tell me what are the negative aspect about the pharmacy and what are the challenges for pharmacy in the future? I am stress out because I have no pharmacy experience before. Thanks.:)

Members don't see this ad.

sorry this is not an answer of your question but is that westernU in CA.

Yes, the western U in pomona ,CA. Do you have an answer for that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask when you got the interview invitation. I am still waiting to hear from them. I don't have exact answer for your question but i would read about things like Medicare Part D and current issues in pharmacy.

try to shadow a pharmacist for a couple hours maybe you will find a negative aspect

I got the invitation around the middle of January. When did you apply? I think they still looking at the application if you apply kind of late. Also, one of my friend who applied on September, way eariler than me never get anything yet. So, I really don't know how they select people for interview. One of my friend told me they select according to your last name in order. I don't know if this is true.
I know some of the real negative aspect for pharmacy, but I can not really say it in the interview.

I got the invitation around the middle of January. When did you apply? I think they still looking at the application if you apply kind of late. Also, one of my friend who applied on September, way eariler than me never get anything yet. So, I really don't know how they select people for interview. One of my friend told me they select according to your last name in order. I don't know if this is true.
I know some of the real negative aspect for pharmacy, but I can not really say it in the interview.

On their website it says they will contact 1-3 weeks prior to the interview date. I know their next interview is Feb 9th. I applied in September have not heard from them yet. good luck with your interview....they want to check for your communication skills and how you process.

Interesting, what happened to the preferred "well-rounded" applicant ? Some applicants should reevaluate their desires and goals of becoming a pharmacist; so more qualified applicants can shine ! If you dont know why you're here then you shouldnt be here !

You never get enough hours of work per week, all the customers are too nice and understanding, your always sitting around doing nothing, and the pay sucks. ;)

Interesting, what happened to the preferred "well-rounded" applicant ? Some applicants should reevaluate their desires and goals of becoming a pharmacist; so more qualified applicants can shine ! If you dont know why you're here then you shouldnt be here !

Students have been admitted into pharmacy school WITHOUT pharmacy experience. I don't agree with you telling people to re-evaluate their desires of becoming a pharmacist just because they don't have pharmacy experience. If you applied to SC, Western, SF, etc. you're going to be in shock to find how many students have been admitted into the program with ZERO pharmacy experience.

Students have been admitted into pharmacy school WITHOUT pharmacy experience. I don't agree with you telling people to re-evaluate their desires of becoming a pharmacist just because they don't have pharmacy experience. If you applied to SC, Western, SF, etc. you're going to be in shock to find how many students have been admitted into the program with ZERO pharmacy experience.

I agree with you

I wanted to become a pharmacist since I was ten. My father was a pharmacist with his own store in Hong Kong. I don't understand how you can judge people just because they don't have experience in pharmacy. How about the research experience that I did in UCLA and my BS degree in Biochemistry in UCLA. My goal is becoming a good pharmacist just like my dad and work actively in drug research in the future. Don't attack people when you don't even know them.

I wanted to become a pharmacist since I was ten. My father was a pharmacist with his own store in Hong Kong. I don't understand how you can judge people just because they don't have experience in pharmacy. How about the research experience that I did in UCLA and my BS degree in Biochemistry in UCLA. My goal is becoming a good pharmacist just like my dad and work actively in drug research in the future. Don't attack people when you don't even know them.

Just move on. I suggest you ask your dad since he is a pharmacist. He's a great resource to ask. Plus, you only have to name 1-2 negative things and expand on it. I got offended by that person's comment because people have different reasons why they are pursuing pharmacy. Heck I have pharmacy experience so I didn't take that comment personally but in reality, I know half a dozen people who have had NO pharmacy experience and got in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just move on. I suggest you ask your dad since he is a pharmacist. He's a great resource to ask. Plus, you only have to name 1-2 negative things and expand on it. I got offended by that person's comment because people have different reasons why they are pursuing pharmacy. Heck I have pharmacy experience so I didn't take that comment personally but in reality, I know half a dozen people who have had NO pharmacy experience and got in.

Take it easy everyone :corny:

Take it easy everyone :corny:

Patient comes into the pharmacy and tells you some serious health condition, will your response be to "take it easy?" Your comment to the OP was unacceptable.

Patient comes into the pharmacy and tells you some serious health condition, will your response be to "take it easy?" Your comment to the OP was unacceptable.

thats nice...now ..lets really move on....

haha, gosh what would sdn be without the holier than thou-crowd.

We are all not in the pharmacy program yet so how are we suppose to know what we are going to do in the long-run. All we can do is show that we are capable and well informed. As for the owner of this thread, here is a lil something for you to think about, expatiate on it and you should be fine in your interview:

http://www.academyhealth.org/nhpc/2003/hanley.pdf

calm down everyone, i also have an interview at mcphs coming up and i am looking up on some interview feedbacks. goodluck everyone

Man, we need to get something to de-escalate situations...

We need more WVU and Zpack conversations.

Anyway..............................

Dealing with insurance companies isn't fun
Dealing with the PBMs who like to make a profit by ramping up the drug cost while not passing along the savings to pharmacies sucks too.
Getting yelled at by people in a drive-through who think dispensing drugs should be as fast as making a Big Mac is unpleasant.
Dealing with patients, albeit the main goal for many aspiring pharmacists, can leave one banging on the door.

azithromycin

do i get a prize? gold star? what if i admit that i copied and pasted it into google?

sle3pyguii, i don't appreciate your avatar qoute...everytime i read it i get hungry

1. Drive Thru - I absolutely hate it...people think they can get their medications filled in 2-3 minutes. I had a customer pound on the glass because we were "too slow."
2. Transfer coupons - waste of time.

azithromycin

do i get a prize? gold star? what if i admit that i copied and pasted it into google?

sle3pyguii, i don't appreciate your avatar qoute...everytime i read it i get hungry

I'm sorry, but I'm way too lazy to change it. So you'll have to learn to love it and go buy some fries, along with a Family Guy DVD. :cool: