Negative reinforcement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maygyver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kaplan says that after negative reinforcement "the animal is less likely to repeat the behavioral response." I'm pretty sure that negative reinforcement actually increases the response. For example, when you fasten your seatbelt the annoying buzzing goes away. This makes you more likely to fasten your seatbelt. I've always learned reinforcements increase behavior and punishment decreases the likelihood.

Members don't see this ad.

Right. Reinforcement increases behavior. Negative means something is removed, like the buzzer that stops when you fasten your seatbelt. Positive means adding something. Positive reinforcement is giving a reward. Positive punishment is administering a consequence. Negative punishment is to take something away, like subtracting tokens as a consequence.

A lot of people misunderstand negative reinforcement, including, unfortunately, textbook writers.

Right. Reinforcement increases behavior. Negative means something is removed, like the buzzer that stops when you fasten your seatbelt. Positive means adding something. Positive reinforcement is giving a reward. Positive punishment is administering a consequence. Negative punishment is to take something away, like subtracting tokens as a consequence.

A lot of people misunderstand negative reinforcement, including, unfortunately, textbook writers.

Alright, sounds good. I was confused because in all my psych classes I was sure I had learnt it the way you explained it and just wanted to double check. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't negative reinforcement like shock collars on a dog or punishing a child? I'm pretty sure it's to prevent unwanted behavior.

Edit: just wiki'd; apparently I was describing punishment and aversive behavior.. disregard lol..

Isn't negative reinforcement like shock collars on a dog or punishing a child? I'm pretty sure it's to prevent unwanted behavior.

No, that's punishment which is adding a negative consequence to decrease likelihood, or adding a removing a positive consequence to decreases likelihood I believe.