Maygyver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Kaplan says that after negative reinforcement "the animal is less likely to repeat the behavioral response." I'm pretty sure that negative reinforcement actually increases the response. For example, when you fasten your seatbelt the annoying buzzing goes away. This makes you more likely to fasten your seatbelt. I've always learned reinforcements increase behavior and punishment decreases the likelihood.

AbbyNormal

Yes. No. Maybe.
7+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2010
I agree. reinforcement increases behavior

Rapunzel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
www.ddiamond.net
Status
Non-Student
Right. Reinforcement increases behavior. Negative means something is removed, like the buzzer that stops when you fasten your seatbelt. Positive means adding something. Positive reinforcement is giving a reward. Positive punishment is administering a consequence. Negative punishment is to take something away, like subtracting tokens as a consequence.

A lot of people misunderstand negative reinforcement, including, unfortunately, textbook writers.

OP
Maygyver

Maygyver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Right. Reinforcement increases behavior. Negative means something is removed, like the buzzer that stops when you fasten your seatbelt. Positive means adding something. Positive reinforcement is giving a reward. Positive punishment is administering a consequence. Negative punishment is to take something away, like subtracting tokens as a consequence.

A lot of people misunderstand negative reinforcement, including, unfortunately, textbook writers.
Alright, sounds good. I was confused because in all my psych classes I was sure I had learnt it the way you explained it and just wanted to double check. Thanks!

randomfilipino

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2008
Houston, TX
Status
Dental Student
Isn't negative reinforcement like shock collars on a dog or punishing a child? I'm pretty sure it's to prevent unwanted behavior.

Edit: just wiki'd; apparently I was describing punishment and aversive behavior.. disregard lol..

OP
Maygyver

Maygyver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Isn't negative reinforcement like shock collars on a dog or punishing a child? I'm pretty sure it's to prevent unwanted behavior.
No, that's punishment which is adding a negative consequence to decrease likelihood, or adding a removing a positive consequence to decreases likelihood I believe.