Negative Reviews of Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

outofhere

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have noticed more negative reviews of programs recently- including Mayo Clinic, Vanderbilt, San Mateo...etc. I find this trend VERY interesting for two reasons.
1. We are taught at psychiatrists to keep things in perspective, to remember things like projection, projective identification...etc, and I wonder how much of these negative reviews are not somewhat based on these less-than-mature coping skills? And I wonder what kind of personality would increase one's likelihood of making negative reports? Most people, when encountered bad service, bad interviews...etc, would just let it go...
2. If someone really liked a program, perhaps someone would go bad mouth it anonymously on a forum, what the heck, it won't be traceable, and then, hope that people would decline interviews there, and boost one's own chances of matching there.
What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Possible, though I think the culture of the internet is one that allows, in general, for more free-form idea expression without the fear of repercussion.

I think what you postulate is possible, and has been mentioned on SDN before. Though, I think only the most pathological of gunners would do such a thing.

Off topic - Pathological Gunners would be a great name for a band. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
i think that is a plausible explanation. in a group dynamic sense, it may be easy to regress in this type of setting and to operate at a less mature level than one normally would in public.

i can also recall earlier this year, an applicant mentioned to me that they did not want to really let the word get out about the program by posting positive messages online - to try to decrease competition and such.

of course im sure this goes on across the board and is not isolated to psychiatry. but i'm glad you brought up this interesting observation!

2. If someone really liked a program, perhaps someone would go bad mouth it anonymously on a forum, what the heck, it won't be traceable, and then, hope that people would decline interviews there, and boost one's own chances of matching there.
What do you all think?

I tried this at a party the other night that happened to have 2 dozen Krispy Kream donuts. I discovered that the apple fritters were exceptionally tasty, and not wanting to engorge my self on two Kripsy Kream donuts in less than one minute, I tried to preserve the second one for later by informing numerous people who were approaching the snack table, watching me devour the apple fritter, that they weren't all that great. As I soon learned, negative publicity is still publicity, and I only had one apple fritter that night.

:laugh:
I tried this at a party the other night that happened to have 2 dozen Krispy Kream donuts. I discovered that the apple fritters were exceptionally tasty, and not wanting to engorge my self on two Kripsy Kream donuts in less than one minute, I tried to preserve the second one for later by informing numerous people who were approaching the snack table, watching me devour the apple fritter, that they weren't all that great. As I soon learned, negative publicity is still publicity, and I only had one apple fritter that night.

That's low. :laugh:

Negative reviews might or might not be true.

A few years ago, I posted about my interview at one residency program where an attending started yelling at me, as if intentionally trying to anger me. The guy started screaming at me at some points over mundane questions.

E.g.

What hobbies do you have?

"I work out 5 times a week, I love movies, hanging out with friends...."

(HARD SLAM ON TABLE WITH FIST)
DAMNIT, DON'T WASTE MY TIME! I JUST WANT ONE HOBBY! IF I WANTED TO HEAR ALL YOUR HOBBIES, DON'T YOU THINK I'D BE SMART ENOUGH TO JUST READ YOUR APPLICATION? DO YOU THINK I'M STUPID!!?

I also didn't post the name of the program because its not like they have the oppurtunity to defend themselves, and no I'm not making the above stuff either.

I still think my negative review was still appropriate. I know people at the program that don't like it. That same attending is known to mentally abuse residents, and also gave several others I know a "stress interview". Residents in the program actually told me to consider other places first when no one else was around.

But as mentioned, due to the anonymity of the internet & forums, you're going to have a lot of trollers messing things here & there.

I always tell people that if they want to real scoop on a program you have to get the under the table info. E.g. hear stuff from residents in the programs, or have worked in the program. Whenever you see a program in person, they'll always make it out as if its great. Problem with the internet though is you'll get a lot of trollers or others that can't be held accountable.

If you stick to message forums over time, you will notice who are the people who can be trusted. People who frequent the boards will show their true colors over time.