Negative Statements about Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brendon80

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious if anyone heard much in the way of negative comments about any programs from the residents at that program. What program did you hear negative things? What did you hear? How much did it influence your decision?

In some ways it seems like one person who expressed negative things could really sink a program, but on the other had, what to make of programs where nothing negative is said.

Members don't see this ad.

If you hear a resident badmouth a program, IMHO its either very true, or that person has a chip on their shoulders.

Problem is its hard to know if you're getting the real story or the guy with the chip. Any program on the surface will make their program out to be good whether it is or not. I find the best info to come from the residents when its done "under the table".

Of course you run the risk of getting the one with the chip, but that's better than only using "over the table" data which is always guilded.

This might sound a little paranoid, but there is also the possibility that the resident is trying to discourage you from going to that program because he/she doesn't like you and doesn't want you as a colleague. If you are someone who receives such negative comments from residents at many different programs on the interview trail, I would consider this as a possibility. On the other hand, if you hear from many residents at single institution, then it is probably more likely to be the institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with above assessments, but I was wondering about specific programs...any one hear negative comments about specific programs? How did the resident tell you--in person, via email? Which programs? What comments? How did it influence your decision? I am most specifically thinking about programs in the South, but would be curious about others as well.

I haven't interviewed in any programs in the south.

The only 2 programs where I heard negative comments upfront, 1-I strongly considered it was the chip situation, and 2-I strongly thought was real because I had heard it from several people.

Its often hard to get more than one "under the table" source during an interview. So if you get 1 person telling you not to go, you got to roll the dice, play detective as best as you can and just see where it goes from there.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=335388&page=2

Check out this thread. Someone that interviewed at MUSC this season got negative comments about the program from two residents. Any specific negative comments that people received on the interview trail will likely be posted on these types of "interview feedback" threads.