Negotiating medical school costs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Armoboy21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I just wanted to get an idea of the standard protocol taken for negotiating aid/scholarships. In my own case I have four acceptances with no scholarships. Currently no aid yet as I have yet to submit my FAFSA, but should be sent by this week. Anyway, I’m conflicted on reaching out to one of the schools and asking what they could do for me regarding tuition. The schools tuition is about 10000 more than another school I’ve been accepted to. I don’t really have any leverage except for the fact that I have the choice who I end up paying. Can’t wait for tons of debt! Even though it’s more tuition it’s definitely my top choice so it’s a bummer cost is a factor. So yeah, any and all advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I just wanted to get an idea of the standard protocol taken for negotiating aid/scholarships. In my own case I have four acceptances with no scholarships. Currently no aid yet as I have yet to submit my FAFSA, but should be sent by this week. Anyway, I’m conflicted on reaching out to one of the schools and asking what they could do for me regarding tuition. The schools tuition is about 10000 more than another school I’ve been accepted to. I don’t really have any leverage except for the fact that I have the choice who I end up paying. Can’t wait for tons of debt! Even though it’s more tuition it’s definitely my top choice so it’s a bummer cost is a factor. So yeah, any and all advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Because it's a seller's market, you indeed have zero leverage. One doesn't negotiate with schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Because it's a seller's market, you indeed have zero leverage. One doesn't negotiate with schools.
I have never really understood why people think it's fine to try to leverage getting money from schools. Unless you're a superstar, there is literally zero reason the school would change a thing. Sure you have a choice who you pay, but they also have 7 more applicants for your seat that will continue to pay the full amount and be happy about it. I see it time to time on here but I've never heard of it working in real life. This isn't a job offer you can negotiate, its the sh*tstorm you have to go through to get there

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If I'm accepted to school A that's well established but I'd like to go to school B which is newer. School B has a higher tuition.
If I call and go "Hi I'm an accepted student. I'd like to go to your school but the tuition is much higher than school A would it be possible to have a scholarship?" what would be the downside of asking?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If I'm accepted to school A that's well established but I'd like to go to school B which is newer. School B has a higher tuition.
If I call and go "Hi I'm an accepted student. I'd like to go to your school but the tuition is much higher than school A would it be possible to have a scholarship?" what would be the downside of asking?
I can just imagine the Admissions Dean, with eyes rolling, telling the Dean "Dig what this winner wants from us!"

Can't imagine an acceptance being rescinded, at least. Though the idea is tempting.

If you go about it in a tactful way, there's no downside, in my opinion. Negotiating scholarships is standard practice in law school and business school admissions; it may have a lower success rate in medical school admissions, but it really shouldn't be considered taboo. If anything, you'd be demonstrating financial responsibility and negotiation skills, two essential assets to have as a physician in the modern healthcare system.

If you go about it in a tactful way, there's no downside, in my opinion. Negotiating scholarships is standard practice in law school and business school admissions; it may have a lower success rate in medical school admissions, but it really shouldn't be considered taboo. If anything, you'd be demonstrating financial responsibility and negotiation skills, two essential assets to have as a physician in the modern healthcare system.
This is terrible advice because those two are so unbelievably different from medical school admissions. There are so many people who are willing to take any seat and you put a target on your back because it comes off very terribly. Yes a physician needs negotiating skills when they are working through job offers, but medical school is a necessary evil that people have to go through to get there.

OP, As @AnatomyGrey12 put it. Welcome to the big debt club kid join the rest of us. I see a 0.5% chance of anything actually happening in your favor, and a 85%+ chance it hurts you. You don't want to be that student ever, much less before you even start

EDIT: This isn't undergrad there really aren't THAT many scholarships available anyway

Last edited:
OP has nothing to offer the school, unless they have HUGE NIH grant they're bringing with them. With nothing to bargain with, why would school give scholarship money?
Better to look for military, national guard or national public health service scholarship

OP has nothing to offer the school, unless they have HUGE NIH grant they're bringing with them. With nothing to bargain with, why would school give scholarship money?
Better to look for military, national guard or national public health service scholarship
There seems to be a delusion among premeds that having an accept anywhere makes you more attractive somewhere.

It only works for Harvard/Stanford class candidates.

Reactions: 3 users
2lcnns.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Don't count on it for DO schools.

I don’t know how anyone gets this far in this process and still thinks they’re special...

Don't count on it for DO schools.
This is a good point. If it’s A DO school, you may not get any cash. If it’s an MD school you may get a little something (20Gs or so). I say go for it either way. Unless ypu come off as unprofessional, they wont reject your acceptance

Just go to the school you think will do the job

There seems to be a delusion among premeds that having an accept anywhere makes you more attractive somewhere.

It only works for Harvard/Stanford class candidates.

Suppose that you are a Harvard/Stanford class candidate: what happens then?

This could be a fun experiment. Try negotiating with the 2 schools you don't want and see what happens. Report back to us

Suppose that you are a Harvard/Stanford class candidate: what happens then?
Then go to Harvard/Stanford. Its a huge risk to try to do this because many pre-meds think they do it tactfully but actually make themselves look entitled. Not saying it is impossible, but I see a much higher chance of it blowing up hardcore rather than working.

With the crazy ratio of applicants to seats, why not take the person who will pay you more money?

They’re selling water in the desert and plenty of folks are thirsty.

Reactions: 3 users