nelnet private loan

Started by harmnot
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

harmnot

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Three years ago I had to take a leave of absence from med. school for personal reasons. Recently I was contacted by Nelnet private loan telling me that because I had taken time off and despite the fact that I am currently in school now, I am in repayment status. Basically, I would have had to be in continuous student status in order to not be put in repayment. I know that private and federal loans works differently. However, I thought that once I am a full-time student, I would be put in deferment. I don't know how I am going to afford to make monthly payments when I am on 100% loan. Any advice would be appreciated.
 
many private loans companies do not offer autometic academic deferment. My advice would be to investigate graduated and income-sensitive options. Or forbearance, which for a private loan isn't much different than deferment, except it usually caps at a year.