NEOMED (MD) vs NOVA (DO) - Tampa Bay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aml868

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello again :D. Sorry for posting on this forum but I have no other schools I promise this time. I was somehow lucky and fortunate to get off of the waitlist for NEOMED and face a decision I didn't think would happen this late in the cycle. I made a pros and cons list, and I would love any input.

NEOMED (MD)

PROS:
  • Residencies are where MDs have an advantage. There are ACGME residencies that won't even interview a DO. And ones that do often only interview DOs with significantly higher USMLEs than their MD counterparts. Of course, this is becoming less of an issue over time as programs are slowly welcoming more DOs.
  • Will not have to take two sets of boards. MD only takes one set of boards.
  • Even though the curriculum is graded, there are many opportunities for success.
    • 20% goes to peer instruction and engaged learning
    • 30% goes to multiple choice tests (Two tests)
    • 50% goes to standardized NBME (National Board of Medical Examiners) test where the goal is for the class to score around 80% (+/- 5%) or it gets assessed/curved. (Good prep for boards :D)
  • My friend lives there and claims she can help my SO with another job outside his field of work. (My SO specializes in land acquisition and construction so he might have to find something new entirely or work remotely)
  • Compared to NOVA, there are more research opportunities.
  • Tuition is 88k in the first year, but during the interview they said I can become in-state after the first year for ~46.9k a year which ends up being cheaper than NOVA by roughly 8k so barely any difference. If this does not work, NEOMED is more expensive by 120k over 4 years.
CONS
  • More expensive in terms of cost of living FOR NOW (I can stay with SO and his parents if I attend NOVA)
  • GRADED CURRICULUM (both are but see pros)
  • Cold Ohio weather
  • Don’t know anyone else going there
  • Rural

NOVA TAMPA BAY (DO)
PROS:
  • In state! Well known program in Florida and will have better chances to match residency in Florida.
  • Florida weather
  • Near family (Jacksonville and Orlando)
  • I have friends going there and Ft Lauderdale campus for dentistry, optometry, etc.
  • Urban
  • Board Scores in the past have not been good given how established the school is, however, this year the board scores look better and may be signs of changes for the better.
  • Save on COL by living with working SO and his parents until SO decides to move.
  • Residency is the only place where there are "more" hurdles for a DO. But any DO could have what they want, they just may have to work a little harder than an MD counterpart to get it.
  • Had 3 matches in orthopedic surgery and 3 matches in dermatology in 2021 (Idk if I would do these but it shows it's not impossible for a competitive specialty)
  • Flat rate in-state tuition of 58k per year where becoming Ohio in-state will require extra stress.

CONS:
  • Even though I can match in Florida, the specialties may not be what I want. (Chances are not as great for dermatology, neurosurgery, ophthalmology, etc.)
  • If me and my SO break up the COL will end up being WAY more expensive.
  • GRADED CURRICULUM I believe (both are, I heard there are exams every other week and that many test questions are not board focused)
  • Have to take two sets of boards
  • Very concerned with many of the negative posts and claims of NOVAs bad administration where they can “blacklist” you if you get on their bad side. See (1) NSU name and shame (Nova Southeastern University) : premed (reddit.com)
  • Less research opportunities.

NOTES
  • I do not know how good the specialty matches of NEOMED are compared to NOVA. I am interested in Ophthalmology, Anesthesia, and Sports Medicine as of now but that may change. I want to live in Florida post-schooling but maybe I will fall in love with another state.
  • I am not married so I am not financially tied to anyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
MD over DO no matter what even if you wanted to do the least competitive specialties (FM, Peds, EM, IM). But even more if you want to do Ophthalmology or Anesthesia.

Reference: A recent DO graduate about to start residency.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Look at the sf match statistics for Ophthalmology for 2022 and the right choice isn’t even a question.

Reactions: 1 user
I have decided to attend NEOMED. It has been chaos trying to find an apartment with a move in date on time. Everywhere (looking mostly in Kent) has a move in date of mid to late august when my orientation starts July 18th. Anyone know someone who struggled with finding living and figured it out? I am starting to think that I need to stay in a hotel for three weeks or so.

I have decided to attend NEOMED. It has been chaos trying to find an apartment with a move in date on time. Everywhere (looking mostly in Kent) has a move in date of mid to late august when my orientation starts July 18th. Anyone know someone who struggled with finding living and figured it out? I am starting to think that I need to stay in a hotel for three weeks or so.
Look at extended stay hotels and try to negotiate with the manager. They will try to give you some ridiculous rate at first, but I doubt they will be at capacity so you can try to get them to lower it.

Air BnB might be an option but honestly, I hate staying at them because I don’t really know the cleanliness and what not before going.