Neomycin

Started by ituryu
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ituryu

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Guys I need your reliable opinion on this. A coursemate of mine is insisting that neomycin does not cause any allergic reaction, I am saying that it does and that infact it causes a delayed type IV hypersensitivty rxn. What say you all am I right or am I wrong.
 
ituryu said:
Guys I need your reliable opinion on this. A coursemate of mine is insisting that neomycin does not cause any allergic reaction, I am saying that it does and that infact it causes a delayed type IV hypersensitivty rxn. What say you all am I right or am I wrong.

Neomycin is one of those that has a rather high rate of hypersenstivity or allergy approaching by some estimates 25-30%. However, it does still has benefit in such medications as Maxitrol (Dexamethasone 0.1%; neomycin 0.3% and polymyxin B 10,000U), etc.

Interestingly, one can easily test for aminglycoside sensitvity by skin testing with thimersol: See the citation below:

J Am Acad Dermatol 2001 Jul;45(1):23-7 "Thimerosal in the detection of clinically relevant allergic contact reactions" Suneja T, Belsito DV.
Division of Dermatology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, USA
 
Thanks for confirming my stands, I thought I was loosing my mind. I do agree that maxitrol is a useful steroid-antibiotic combination drug, but I still do believe that it is capable of causing the hypersensitive rxn especially in the already sensitized pxts. I got that from the ophthalmic drug guideline in Review of optometry journal.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will just add that you are right, that is why we alway tell patients to use Polysporin and not to get Neosporin.
 
My point exactly, I thought I was loosing my mind. Thanks and no more neomycin.