Neonatal PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have one semester left (Fall 2012) until I get my B.A. in chemistry/biology.

I had every intention of applying for medical school this summer, but I think I've had a change of heart. I want to work with neonates, and that means med school + 6 years of specialization. I'm just not sure I am willing to sacrifice the next decade of my life when I know P.A.s are very capable of doing similar work.

As far as I've read, it seems like NNPs are more common in the NICU, but I've read there are positions available for PAs.

I've got a strong chemistry background with years (2-3) of lab research and a possible publication depending on how my summer work goes. I'll also have a senior thesis focused on chemistry.

I have literally no clinical experience. I started at my university right after I turned 17 and had no support (financially or emotionally) from family, and I struggled to make ends meet.

My work at my university is not graded (the school has no grading system - instead we receive a critical evaluation for each class). I do have a GPA from my community college classes I took while in HS (dual enrollment) - I think my GPA was around a 3.8-3.9 (not sure exactly).

I need to take micro + lab, statistics, and A&P I & II with lab. Which is kinda good because I'll have a chance to take some courses at the local CC and get more recent grades.

So my plan is this:

Summer 2012
Microbiology + lab (at CC - uni isn't offering)
Summer research for senior thesis (possibly paid)
Look for clinical experience

Fall 2012
Thesis writing (counts as a class)
Thesis lab (counts as a class)
Statistics
Clinical experience

Spring 2013
A+P I (at CC - uni isn't offering)
A+P Lab (at CC - uni isn't offering)
Study for GRE
Clinical experience

Summer 2013
A+P II (at CC - uni isn't offering)
Applications
Clinical experience

So that will give me nearly a year to get some clinical experience. One school in my state recommends 2000 hours of experience, but that just seems insane. 40 hours a week of clinical experience. I'm shooting for 1000 but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get that many by the time I apply.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? By that schedule, I'd graduate from P.A. school in 2016 if accepted.

Okay so some questions:

Do P.A. schools care about CC credits? I know med schools prefer uni course work...
What about summer CC credits? Is that a big no-no?

What about after P.A. school - how do you get into a NICU setting after graduation? I searched at http://www.appap.org and there is a 12 month program in Kentucky for neonatology.

How competitive are P.A. schools?

I guess I am just looking for some advice/input on the whole situation. My school doesn't really have a pre-med advisor (small liberal arts school).

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry - I found that forum shortly after posted. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone.

I have one semester left (Fall 2012) until I get my B.A. in chemistry/biology.

I had every intention of applying for medical school this summer, but I think I've had a change of heart. I want to work with neonates, and that means med school + 6 years of specialization. I'm just not sure I am willing to sacrifice the next decade of my life when I know P.A.s are very capable of doing similar work.

As far as I've read, it seems like NNPs are more common in the NICU, but I've read there are positions available for PAs.

I've got a strong chemistry background with years (2-3) of lab research and a possible publication depending on how my summer work goes. I'll also have a senior thesis focused on chemistry.

I have literally no clinical experience. I started at my university right after I turned 17 and had no support (financially or emotionally) from family, and I struggled to make ends meet.

My work at my university is not graded (the school has no grading system - instead we receive a critical evaluation for each class). I do have a GPA from my community college classes I took while in HS (dual enrollment) - I think my GPA was around a 3.8-3.9 (not sure exactly).

I need to take micro + lab, statistics, and A&P I & II with lab. Which is kinda good because I'll have a chance to take some courses at the local CC and get more recent grades.

So my plan is this:

Summer 2012
Microbiology + lab (at CC - uni isn't offering)
Summer research for senior thesis (possibly paid)
Look for clinical experience

Fall 2012
Thesis writing (counts as a class)
Thesis lab (counts as a class)
Statistics
Clinical experience

Spring 2013
A+P I (at CC - uni isn't offering)
Study for GRE
Clinical experience

Summer 2013
A+P II (at CC - uni isn't offering)
Applications
Clinical experience

So that will give me nearly a year to get some clinical experience. One school in my state recommends 2000 hours of experience, but that just seems insane. 40 hours a week of clinical experience. I'm shooting for 1000 but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get that many by the time I apply.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? By that schedule, I'd graduate from P.A. school in 2016 if accepted.

Okay so some questions:

Do P.A. schools care about CC credits? I know med schools prefer uni course work...
What about summer CC credits? Is that a big no-no?

What about after P.A. school - how do you get into a NICU setting after graduation? I searched at http://www.appap.org and there is a 12 month program in Kentucky for neonatology.

How competitive are P.A. schools?

I guess I am just looking for some advice/input on the whole situation. My school doesn't really have a pre-med advisor (small liberal arts school).

We have both PA and NP at my NICU,both do same thing, all the scrub work the MD does not feel like doing , because He is borderline competent hands on, how does someone get thru residency without knowing how to put an arterial line,draw labs,do an LP,PDL line placement ,intubate is unreal. These guys /gals are usually nasty, snobs , I guess hiding their insecuirty.Yet there are a few that can do it all with one hand tied behind their back.,these are usually very nice, love to work . Theadmistration says PA fuction beter in OR,technical areas,while the NPs are better with families.We have seen boh aspects, incompetent slow PA and greatly skilled organized NPs.