Neonate Lifestyle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the lifestyle of a neonatologist? I'm a woman and want a family (my husband is also in medicine)...is this relatively easy (such as with EM or Derm) or relatively hard (such as with OB/GYN)?

Members don't see this ad.

drbon said:
Can anyone comment on the lifestyle of a neonatologist? I'm a woman and want a family (my husband is also in medicine)...is this relatively easy (such as with EM or Derm) or relatively hard (such as with OB/GYN)?

Darn, when I saw the title of the thread I thought you wanted opinions of the lifestyle of a neonate..... Since, I've answered the other question enough on multiple threads (it's somewhere between that of an EM doc and that of an OB/Gyn), I'll address the lifestyle of a neonate.

Basically, I don't remember it very well, but I was bottle-fed so it probably wasn't nearly as much fun as that of the breast-fed baby. Lots of sleep time and you get to wake everybody in the house up a lot. The colic thing doesn't seem like much fun and it sure isn't fun being in an NICU, but otherwise, I think it beats the life of an adult pretty handily.

Regards

OBP

Members don't see this ad :)
And, when you wake everyone up, they're not allowed to do anything to you.

oldbearprofessor said:
Darn, when I saw the title of the thread I thought you wanted opinions of the lifestyle of a neonate..... Since, I've answered the other question enough on multiple threads (it's somewhere between that of an EM doc and that of an OB/Gyn), I'll address the lifestyle of a neonate.

Basically, I don't remember it very well, but I was bottle-fed so it probably wasn't nearly as much fun as that of the breast-fed baby. Lots of sleep time and you get to wake everybody in the house up a lot. The colic thing doesn't seem like much fun and it sure isn't fun being in an NICU, but otherwise, I think it beats the life of an adult pretty handily.

Regards

OBP
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

oldbearprofessor said:

Regards

OBP
:laugh: Did they base the show "House" on you?

igcgnerd said:
:laugh: Did they base the show "House" on you?

Never seen the show, but reading the on-line description I rather doubt they had a neonatologist in mind. We are very different from ID docs :laugh:

Speaking of the lifestyle of a neonate, you have to say, that it's one of the few times you get to freely pee on the doctor examining you. And they laugh when you do it. What a life!

Regards

OBP

oldbearprofessor said:

Regards

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :thumbup:

Awsome.

oldbearprofessor said:
Speaking of the lifestyle of a neonate, you have to say, that it's one of the few times you get to freely pee on the doctor examining you. And they laugh when you do it. What a life!

Regards

OBP

Friendly urine sample for the labs! :laugh:

oldbearprofessor said:
Never seen the show, but reading the on-line description I rather doubt they had a neonatologist in mind. We are very different from ID docs :laugh:

Regards

OBP
OBP,
sounds like it should be part of a rap song. "who's down with OPB? yeah, you know me!" (or something like that. I think I'm dating myself here) :laugh:

TexasRose said:
OBP,
sounds like it should be part of a rap song. "who's down with OPB? yeah, you know me!" (or something like that. I think I'm dating myself here) :laugh:

I have given my $7.50 so I could upload a better pic of "oldbear" to enhance intern recognition of me. I've promised my kids that the first grandchild gets oldbear.

I don't think I could rap - but "oldbear" can do anything. :D

TexasRose said:
OBP,

That is sooooo March/April 2006... :laugh: