Neonatology Fellowship Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdjess07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am in the second year of the residence in neonatology in a hospital in México. I am looking for a rotation or a fellowship in the area of extremely preterm infants, do you know which hospitals have this program? something like a fellow research? Do someone know where do I get this information?

I would appreciate your help.

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I had this put in pediatrics where it will be seen by more people. The usual thing is to send out ones CV with a note about your interests to the leadership of some of the larger Children's Hospital's neonatology groups. Be specific about the amount of time you'll have to spend, funding needs (if any), etc.

Buena Suerte!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently in my third year of medical school and the time has come to begin sending out applications for residency. I love the NICU and can imagine myself practicing neonatology but dont know what residency to do.

i am considering Med/Peds, Pediatrics, and Peds/Genetics

Does anyone has any thoughts as to the pros and cons of doing either of these with the thought of neonatology in the future?

I'd say if you really like neo then med/peds probably is a waste of training. You won't be taking care of anything close to an adult in the NICU. Peds/genetics would be very useful but certainly straight peds would prepare you well for fellowship.

I am currently in my third year of medical school and the time has come to begin sending out applications for residency. I love the NICU and can imagine myself practicing neonatology but dont know what residency to do.

i am considering Med/Peds, Pediatrics, and Peds/Genetics

Does anyone has any thoughts as to the pros and cons of doing either of these with the thought of neonatology in the future?

If your career goal is neonatology, then do pediatrics. There is no benefit to the doing the extra year of residency for med/peds and it will be costly and not very helpful to have to keep up with medicine boards. There are plenty of med/peds neonatologists but all the ones I know decided on neo after starting residency.

Peds/genetics - well, I suppose, but it would be a costly way to get this training if you want to do neo.

I also need your clarification:
can I become a neonatologist after completing a pediatrics-preliminary residency program?

I also need your clarification:
can I become a neonatologist after completing a pediatrics-preliminary residency program?

In the United States, one enters a neonatology fellowship program after completing the entirety of the pediatric 3 year residency. There are some rare special exceptions but this is the usual. The few one-year preliminary pediatric positions have a different purpose.

In the United States, one enters a neonatology fellowship program after completing the entirety of the pediatric 3 year residency. There are some rare special exceptions but this is the usual. The few one-year preliminary pediatric positions have a different purpose.

Thank you for your quick response! I saw on FREIDA that all 53 pediatrics-preliminary positions required length is 3 years. What is their purpose? Where can I read more about it?